NT camping. With fish!

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
50Cal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

NT camping. With fish!

Post by 50Cal »

Had a great runoff after moving to Darwin last year, cracked the metre on my second trip. I am told I have been lucky.
Planning some camping. Need suggestions for camping spots with fishing. Prefer salt but might hit the fresh.
Somewhere away from quads, we prefer it quiet.

Its a big ask but thanks in advance for any help.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: NT camping. With fish!

Post by Matt Flynn »

Try over at Mandorah, there's great tracks along the coast at One Fella and Two fella Creeks. Also Gunn Point.

Or book in at Channel Point. Also Pococks at Kakadu and Stuart Tree Fishing Camp.

Or if you want to travel, Cobourg Peninsula (Black Point) and also Wiligi Outstation.

Pretty sure you can set up a tent at Crab Claw Resort (check), and on the other side of Bynoe Harbour at Keswick Point.

Or Dundee.

Quads hard to avoid but they aren't allowed in some places.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Shady ...bit of both out there. No quads for miles, couple of 4wd tracks out there too ...

The only spots camping is permitted in the mary river area are:
couzens lookout in the coroboree rockhole, shady camp , wildman lodge, mary river park on the bridge lagoon and stuarts tree fishing camp they have a ramp on the coast too. Make sure you have a decent trailer as corrigations can be nuts some trips up there to the camp...and stuarts tree historical marker on the coast nearby. 3km walk required to see it nowadays.

(Tree is gone now though )

Good luck, dont forget to chuck a post up about the adventure ...
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Got red Lilly and alligator billabongs once they open in Kakadu.
Tomato island just past the roper is a nice looking camp ground but a bit of a drive for a weekend.
Can fish in Litchfield too, lots of sooties. I'm in a 4wd club and get access to places not open to the public, we have a few campsites that you walk down the river and can pull a smaller sootie out of each pool, then they wise up to you and you go to the next.
50Cal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by 50Cal »

Mandorah sounds like the go, the creeks look the goods on google, is the track passable now???
50Cal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by 50Cal »

Might go out for a reccy first
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Tracks out that way would be dry as months ago. 50 cal. ..
Need a car that can handle deep sand ruts and coffe rock sump killers if want to go all the way to the mouth of the creeks.... not the go in a commodore but even a rav 4 or xfail can do it with a skilled driver. FYI they've got trail Cameras on the track out near the lighthouse on charles pt.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Might see u out there on my mates quads and buggies..LOL :mrgreen: .

As they've been cracking down on them out gunn pt way lately thats the next local hotspot to tear up to at 2am except for the finniss mouth. We do the run up the beach for the last of the water for a few crabs and a barra if you're lucky... the mouth of both of them dry on springs so you'll be spending a good part of the day in them getting chewed by sandflies if you have a big boat and can't retrive it up the steep as sandbanks at the mouth. Unless you leave early and miss your opportunity to get a barra or 2 as it runs out...live mullet are more productive than flicking lures out there so I've found. If you camp near some of the rock shelfs you can get a few salmon or pelagics while you are sitting around the campfire drinking coldies...

Good luck :D

Pls chuck a post up once you finish.