Home made boat trailer and the MVR

Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Home made boat trailer and the MVR

Post by Jeno »

Howdy,

Just thought I might air my frustrations at my most recent MVR dealings.......I have a home made boat trailer that has been sitting around unused for a couple of years, it has never been registered. Anyway I gave it a bit of a clean up....got rid of the light board and rigged up some permanent mounted lights...new wheels and tyres etc and would now like to have it registered. So onto the MVR website I go...lots of good info on there, just none about how to register a trailer that does not have a compliance plate...it does say you will need to have a compliance inspection...but there is no link to what that inspection will cover and what the regs are...you know so you could check yourself first to make sure you are compliant and therefore save yourself and everyone else a lot of time and effort rather than waiting at the MVR for an inspection only to be told you are not compliant.....

Anyway...so I give them a call..put the phone on speaker and wait to see if I can speak to someone....after 25 minutes I hung up and sent them an email query...to the email address they provide for online queries....that was on Monday....today is Thursday....still no reply....ummmm...is this a first world country or what...I mean for FFS...you try and do the right thing.....WTF....anyway...I will keep you all informed on how I progress and when I get a resolution we might post that for all to learn from....cheers

No matter where you go, there you are!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Home made boat trailer and the MVR

Post by nomad »

Don’t know how its done here but ive done it in Tas, NSW and Vic.
Build the trailer. Go and see a licenced inspection place and they will tell you what to do.
They give you the compliance numbers and you can either engrave them onto a plate and attach that to the trailer or letter/number punch the details into the drawbar.
Forget the mvr in the 1st instance and go to a private company
get the thing passed by the privateer and then take it to the mvr
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Rated chain and shackes and clearance lights or reflectors dep. On width are a must.... if you dont have a punch and have decent skills with the welder u can weld yr numbers on too.

As mentioned go elsewhere and ask advice first to save the hassle ....promotor trailers or similar companies would be able to help u out I'd reckon. MVR is always packed. Hope u get out there soon.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/veh ... N2009.docx

This may help. A lot of info there not related but I'm sure you will find what you are after
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Love the trailer rego system ... I had to remove a thick chain at the towball and put on a smaller one because the smaller one was "rated" as per law and the thick chain wasn't.

I'm from the government and I'm here to help ...
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Thanks guys for the responses......I will most likely go to Promoter trailers......this is my little standby/camping boat...have a 6mtr as well...but this one is more like the crabbing and 4wd type boat. Up until now I have only used it when heading away on big trips and it goes on top of the camper trailer, the motor goes on a bracket on the draw bar.......but the trailer I have for it is solid and well made...just never registered. I am getting sick of putting the big boat in at Buffalo Ck just go crabbing so time to get this 3.8 on the road so to speak.......My son is in the process of getting his licence as well so won't be long before him and his mates are wanting to drag it around on bush/beach trips.
I will keep you informed on how I go!
Jjones123
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jjones123 »

Great info. I have just built a new boat trailer and wanting to get it registered also.
Looking forward to read the update jeno.
Cheers
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

The other way is to start with the draw bar or section of steel with the compliance plate a fixed to of a registered trailer and then just rebuild everything else. Works a treat for the MVR boys.
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

dannett wrote:The other way is to start with the draw bar or section of steel with the compliance plate a fixed to of a registered trailer and then just rebuild everything else. Works a treat for the MVR boys.
I like your style mate....but unfortunately I did not have that option.....
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Just a quick update.....still haven't had a reply to my email query....the system is working well!
O&Bfisherers
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by O&Bfisherers »

there is a section on the mvr website that tells you what the requirements are or what you cant have/do the lights that are needed are important to mvr dannett is right any old trailer with the trailer number on it with the rest of the trailer rebuilt works well .. they update the new length width etc .. but a small trailer with working lights . good tyre condition rated chain and shackles, wheel guards and any rust hidden from sight you should be fine .. just book it in for a registration and go for it..dont forget a spot for the number plate
Owen and Belinda
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

I finally got a response from the mvr.....that is a story in itself so I won't go into it now....however they have allotted me a VIN and the trailer will go into promotor for them to do a compliance check....they can make any additions that may be lacking and once the trailer is compliant they lodge it with mvr...I then go on line and pay the rego and go into mvr and pick up the plates.

Well that is the theory anyway...we will see how it plays out after tomorrow....I will inform as this progresses and then post the procedure up for those who may find it helpful.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Will be valuable info, ty
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Hello fellow fish finders,

I am happy to report I can now bring this little saga to an end! HOORAY....
My homemade trailer is now legal and registered, and the following is an update from my last post...which was August last year....WOW.

I went into the MVR armed with my green slip rego inspection approval from Promotor Trailers, my email with allotted VIN and my wallet primed to pay. I attended the counter for what soon became a ever increasing issue of confusion! I knew I was in for a long visit when the staff members face creased in confusion and puzzlement and she soon called her supervisor....much hushed conversation ensued.....I was then invited over to another counter.

From here I was given a raft of forms to fill out and sent on my way...forms filled out and back to the counter.....much furious tapping of keyboards...some frowns...questions....and another chat with the supervisor...hmmmmmm....anyway some nearly 1 hour later the kind lady at the counter says..aaahah...I know why it won't process....Promotor trailers can't do a compliance check on your trailer! Why not I ask? Well......they can only do compliance checks on trailers they build themselves...not on trailers built by someone else......makes sense....sure....why not.....of course..hahahahahahaha....oh.....we laughed....NOT

With me doing and excellent job of keeping my frustration in check.....I asked...so what do we do now....hmmmm...supervisor time again.....finally.....I have to put my trailer over the pits and have one of their inspectors do the compliance inspection.

Anyway...eventually I got around to doing that....and zipity bang....passed...registered....and now able to be on the road. So what does this mean if you are going to build your own trailer?

Make sure you keep any receipts for materials purchased to build the trailer because they want to see proof of purchase...so steel, wheels, lights, rollers etc...keep a file to submit with your application because they want that....if not you have to get a signed stat dec.

Don't bother getting a trailer place to do a compliance check on your trailer because it won't be accepted. Instead you will need to go in and book an inspection time. I would suggest you do that when you go in and request a VIN for the trailer as you will need that engraved into the trailer or stamped on a plate fixed to the trailer before you get the compliance check.

Be patient and have a sense of humour.

Hope this helps
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Haha
'COMPUTER SAYS NOOOO'!! :lol: