Gear selection

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Wingnut01
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Gear selection

Post by Wingnut01 »

Hi there only new to this Barra chasing with a trip to King Ash later this year
Whats is every ones selection on gear for around King Ash fishing
Rod weight
Braid or Mono how many lb
leader what weight
Hook selection for live bait
Lure length and colour
:catch: :fishing:

goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Gear selection

Post by goldfish »

Rod: 6- 7ft 4-8 kg graphite get a G.Loomis IMX if you're rich but plenty of good rods out there for less coin nowadays. :D

Reel: 4000- 5000 Shimano baitrunner threadline or 200 baitcast. Shimanos are my preference as parts are nearly always available but other brands have some good ones too (Personal preference and budget will dictate this choice ) make sure it's rated for saltwater use! Buy the best you can afford and they'll last for years if you look after them. :mrgreen:

Braid is the only way to go on barra in my opinion for better feel and hooksets. If running this setup as an all rounder for light reef fishing too I'd go for 30- 50lb I run Berkley whiplash as the superfine diameter will get plenty of line on there. Other good reliable braid is platyl millennium braid or finns. I run a dark green colour in the crystal clean freshwater but I've got reels loaded with bright yellow finns that have caught plenty too.... so I don't reckon colour is a big deal: the bright colours are helpful to see where the lures are when trolling though.

Leader: run 45lb minimum, schnieder mono is hard to go past. Don't bother with flurocarbon it's rediculously expensive and useless on big fish in my experience with it. I've been busted off on 70lb schnieder mono plenty of times in under 10 sec on big ones over the metre mark in the fast current fishing full lock drags in big rapids. Ive still got a 1/2 spool of seaguar flurocarbon 55lb in the shed somewhere it was a waste of money and cost me a few lures as well as good fish. Soft plastics get scoffed down more often than hardbodies. Fish as light as you can get away with, oyster rocks will cut any setup in under a sec anyway. If it's scuffed or damaged at all retie it before casting out again.....you'll be kicking yourself if you don't. :banghead:

Gamakatsu octopus or mustad big red suicides from 3/0 to 9/0 depending on bait size ....bigger is better for monsters don't be scared to plonk out a 300mm diamond scale mullet. You can snell one hook onto your leader above the main hook for bigger baits or run a stinger treble too for higher rates of hookups. If running smaller baits a single hook is fine. Again small hooks and lighter leader is the go for better presentation you may lose the odd one but you'll get more bites than a massive hook on a bit of 100lb. Some people run circle hooks too but I've never been much of a fan of them. When you get a hit strike hard just as they turn away : barra scoff the bait in a blink of an eye with their implosion ''boof''!.

Give the boys at the local fishing club a call to check their go to lures. But a few I'd try include 240mm kokoda soft plastics and some decent sized vibes worked deep along the bottom over rockbars. Doa prawns and bait busters and some yozuri crystal minnows in white/silver or black/gold for casting to gutters or headlands and 6inch barra baits or big B52s on the troll. Matching the size of bait and depth is more important than getting the colour correct then having it miles from where the fish are. Having said that colour can be critical too some days .... :bonk:

Hope this helps you get onto a few ... chuck a post up about the adventure for us :drinking1:

deepblack has a curado on a daiwa rod on here for a bargain at $170 if you want a decent baitcaster. :D

:catch:

:fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy:
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
Wingnut01
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Gear selection

Post by Wingnut01 »

Your a Legend Goldfish
Cheers for the reply and Info I will take all on board
Much appreciated
I am really looking forward to the adventure later this year I will be posting results and info as it goes by