Motorguide electrolysis

Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Motorguide electrolysis

Post by Jer »

A mate's MG has corrosion in the exact same spots.

cards
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by cards »

Dam!

Silly question but I cannot see from your photos, is there a sacrificial anode on your prop?
My MG didn't come with one but i up-graded to a 3 blade machete prop and this did come with one - Poor QA/QC.

Quick photo from the web for what they look like:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist, while you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water - I drank it!

Yours sincerely, The Opportunist!
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Minn kota . All the way....

I've got a tiiler steer 55lb salt water model it's never missed a beat and absolutely loves the abuse the territory environment dishes out its now going on 10yrs old. worst prob was a broken shear pin in east arm when i backed over an oyster rock earlier this yr.

If their spotlock accuracy issue is sorted out to the same spec as MG soon they'll be gold.

My little bro has already had his replaced once due to noisy steering controls.. ... Less than 1 year old.

For the price of them you'd expect better quality components
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

I think it was under 20 bucks to get a new anode nut n pin and it was back in business
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro »

cards wrote:Dam!

Silly question but I cannot see from your photos, is there a sacrificial anode on your prop?
My MG didn't come with one but i up-graded to a 3 blade machete prop and this did come with one - Poor QA/QC. :
Yes, came with the anode. Was in pretty poor shape when I replaced it recently. Cost me $20 for a new one. I also use a three blade prop. Changed over about a year ago. So much better. Makes me wonder why three blade isn't standard.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Hi All,
For what it's worth I just had a GPS issue with my 80lb Motorguide and took it into In and Outboard and they fixed both it and the electrolysis issue which I had been holding off on until there was a proven fix in place. (I believe that issue is sorted now by Motorguide using better coatings and barrier seals, but time will tell.) Anyway, issue was sorted and the motor turned around in exactly a week so cudos to IO marines' service department.

Maro,
To be honest I think the issues you have had are perhaps to do with the dealer you dealt with rather than Motorguide (Mercury Marine) if the dealer doesn't push back at the supplier you as a customer won't be in the best position to get a result.

Cheers,
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.