Gove fishing holiday

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Gove fishing holiday

Post by mickkk »

I'm wanting to load up the kids and boat and head up to Nhulunbuy and it's surrounds for a few weeks over the school holidays.
Sounds like a simple thing. But for a town going backwards and desperate to keep afloat. You would think they would welcome a silly bloke, his missis, a few little kids and a boat to spend some money in are around their town.
Tried to do the right thing and look into what permits I need, to find out (it seems) I need a permit to drive the whole 700 odd kms of the central Arnhem highway before I even get there. Ok, all well and good.
With this permit comes restrictions, which I can cop, thinking it will be a no booze trip. Not too major for me.
But it seems like I am not Australian enough to load my boat and drive up a nationally gazetted highway.

This info comes from their very hard t find but handy info sheet
"Road Permits
To travel the Central Arnhem Road from the Stuart Highway via Bulman to Nhulunbuy requires a permit from the Northern Land Council (NLC) in advance. Permits can take up to two weeks to process. The road is not suitable for caravans or boat trailers and they are not permitted by the NLC, only sturdy off-road camper trailers. The NLC office in Nhulunbuy is contactable on 08 8986 8500 and the Katherine office 08 8971 9899"

Found here
http://www.walkaboutlodge.com.au/nhulunbuy.pdf

Surly I'm capable to do the research my self and decide if I want to do it. Both my 4wd and boat is set up and very capable of cr.p roads. It is soo disappointing how travelling around this great state is made soo difficult. Seems it's who you know, not what you are capable of....

On a side note, anyone else done this. Pretty keen to see the other side. But not going all that way and not take my boat, she would never forgive me.

Going to phone the boat club and see what they know. And what the feasibility of getting up there with my boat.
But if any one at all has any experiences or knowlage to share I would be wrapped.

Cheers mickey

gove tony
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gove fishing holiday

Post by gove tony »

Mate you actually don't really need a permit at all to travel the road, it is only considered necessary for insurance reasons. You will need to get a temporary Dhimurru ( http://www.dhimurru.com.au/ )permit to access the boat ramps etc once there though. The dimurru permit also gives you access to some of the best camping in the Territory.
Don't let the NLC stop you. If you need some more info slip me a pm with your number and i can give you more of a heads up if you like.

Cheers Tony
tony
MR126
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MR126 »

Hi Mick
I have towed a boat into to Gove a number of time and never had a problem. Just make sure you have a well maintain trailer, spare sets of bearing. springs etc and keep the weight light on your boat trailer
regards
Mark
Ps I still believe you need access permit from the NLC to travel the Centre Arnhem Highway
Goldcan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Goldcan »

Hey Mick,

As MR 126 has said You will need a well maintained trailer and keep it light and carry spares.

I have know quite a few people that have towed their boats in with no problems at all, Just take it easy and give yourself plenty of time to get here. once your here happy fishing.

It is advisable to get a permit from NLC to travel on the track also Dhimurru permit for your stay here.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

What's the winds like? I have been told by some it will be 20 knot plus every day.

Is there any where a little protected. The boat goes ok, so 15 knots is doable, 20 is a bit much tho. But I was guessing / hoping that in the bay behind Gove would be a little protected. Seems to be a few islands to hide behind to the north.
Not real fussed about catching fish, it's just a great way to see a place p, by water.
Was also hoping that if we are up there for 10 days to a fortnight, that we would get a few (4 or 5) days below 15 knots.
But happy to be advised otherwise, don't want to go to the hassle of dragging it up there for one or two days out
Goldcan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Goldcan »

yeh it can be a blowy at that time of year, however you can find plenty of shelter somewhere in the creeks or behind the islands some good country to explore.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

You do require a permit. To say its only for insurance purposes is misleading.
For sure get your trailer well sorted out but that goes for any dirt road.
Have you looked at loading it onto the barge and sending it across? Bit pricey (and you are loaded!) but saves lots of hassles.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

We camped at Diliwuy bay while we were there. Launch is into a protected creek with Jacks and queenfish if its blowy. In between the wind you can rip out the front where there are queenfish, trevally, mackerel, trout, tuna and red emperor withing 10km fishing around Cape Arnhem. Would highly recommend stopping there.
gove tony
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gove tony »

nomad wrote:You do require a permit. To say its only for insurance purposes is misleading.
Have you looked at loading it onto the barge and sending it across? Bit pricey (and you are loaded!) but saves lots of hassles.

Um no its not misleading its a gazetted road mate, the need for a permit was taken away back when the intervention happened. You do not need a permit to access a town.
As for the wind mate, the bay itself is fishable, if you are up early enough you can get a fish in and then come back to the bay.
tony
bigcroc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bigcroc »

Huge jewys at the pilons,of the wharf ,get the bible it has some great spots in there.
Till
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Till »

Take a surfboard. I'd wait till October at least
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

gove tony wrote:
nomad wrote:You do require a permit. To say its only for insurance purposes is misleading.

Um no its not misleading its a gazetted road mate, the need for a permit was taken away back when the intervention happened. You do not need a permit to access a town.
As for the wind mate, the bay itself is fishable, if you are up early enough you can get a fish in and then come back to the bay.

My apologies. i checked this out and the websites I went to must have been old info. Some say you still need permits while others say no permits needed on public roads anymore. the NLC say not required on public roads. :bow:
gove tony
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gove tony »

nomad wrote:
gove tony wrote:

My apologies. i checked this out and the websites I went to must have been old info. Some say you still need permits while others say no permits needed on public roads anymore. the NLC say not required on public roads. :bow:

All good bloke. :cheers:
tony
bigcroc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bigcroc »

Honestly think seriously about towing a boat to Gove the road is one of the worst in Aus ,it takes 10 hrs by 4 wheels,so add another 3 hrs for towing a boat.and take 4 spares for your trailer 2 or 3 for your vehicle.There are parts of the road that have rocks not loose rocks these beasts are anchored deep and have pinicles that love to puncture tyres .If you decide to tow your boat in be prepared,if you do a bearing or dont carry enough spares .You may be stuck out there for days .Good luck with what you decide ,ive driven out to Darwin a few times and i would never dream of towing a boat ,but thats just me .
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

yep. these days, i would throw the boat and 4x4 on the barge and fly over. jump off and pick up the car/boat and go fishing.
the air fare is cheap as chips.
Or just jump on a charter.
my days of adventure are over. :D