Lake fish video

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Lake fish video

Post by Dick »

Regards Dick
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Lake fish video

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

Liked the video, but the one called Two Dogs Fishing is really great!
Well done.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Pecheur wrote:Hi there,

Liked the video, but the one called Two Dogs Fishing is really great!
Well done.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Thanks for that and yes the Two Dogs Fishing is my favourite as well. Cant wait to fish that sweetwater again and the dogs will be hot on my heals loving every second, even the odd feral bull.
Regards Dick
Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

Nice one Dick, do they go as hard as the salty's you reckon ?
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Dinger wrote:Nice one Dick, do they go as hard as the salty's you reckon ?
This'll upset a few but the more fish caught out of the dam the more people are starting to see that when you allow a fish to grow to its potential without any dietary restrictions you develop a strong frame, muscle density and bulk. All that equates to a stronger than normal fish. Some will make the comment that they're just fat and lazy as they don't have current to keep the muscles toned as in our rivers. Yes some have a belly particularly in Lake Argyle but they also have the frame to match. Tell Sam Kasiano or Jason Taumalolo that they're fat and lazy and you'd better to be able to run pretty quick.

One of the difficulties in assessing them properly is that we generally measure fish by length. But in the case of the lake a 80cm fish has the bulk of a 90cm wild fish at least. A good example is I've caught 117cm barras that weighted 17kgs in the wild but caught 117cm fish out of Lake Argyle that weighted 28.5kgs.

My son pulled a 101cm fish out of the lower Ord a couple of weeks ago. It played up a bit but it was all over in a couple of minutes with no more than about 5 metres of line taken by the fish. His drag setting was a touch on the tight side and the fish came to the net green but the fish wasn't capable staying away from the boat any longer. Same fish in the lake at 101cm would have got twice as much line off the reel and done it two or three times. He made the comment that it was a bit of a let down comparatively speaking and I've noted the same thing when going back to the river after spending a lot of time on the lake.

I've had big lake fish absolutely scream off line, you'd think they had a tidal current pushing them along. Combine that with that the snaggy environment that the lake has to offer in some places and you find yourself winding 50lb braid over the top of your 30 and using the boat to pull them out.

That all might sound as a bit of an exaggeration but if anything its a bit on the conservative side. Here's some quotes out of my diary - 20th Jan 2008 2 metre plus fish and dropped 4 more, one to a snag and one boatside. 22nd January 3 metre plus fish, biggest 110cm. Dropped 4 more, two to snags rest pulled hooks, fish gave me a flogging. 24th January 2 metre plus fish. Dropped three more, one to a snag rest pulled hooks. Plenty of those pulled hooks were straightened including one set of singles that replaced the trebles. It was three nights of mayhem where the fish came up trumps and I was left to contemplate how I was going to get the buggers to the boat.

They are evil fish.
Regards Dick
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by palaran »

Have to agree with Dick. The Lake Barra pull hard and I was initially surprised but when I think back its my first real experience with impoundment Barra; but I was still surprised :o
If anything different I would say not as much aerials but the initial hit and run compensates for that. They are wise fish as they now exactly where the wood is and that extra bulk works well.
All fish I have caught are XL compared to saltwater mates but the amount of food in the Lake is amazing as Dick advises RE growth rates. At the moment its real tough convincing yourself to head out to the Gulf when you can catch fat fish 5 minutes from your doorstep.

In comparison I would say only other place that is comparable is some sections of the Lower Ord but again that is when the season has produced fat fish. Those seasons had me reassessing my skills as straightened hooks were the norm in the wood.

This Wet has been huge so the Barra are getting fatter 8)
LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

You tried eating any,personally I cant stand fresh water or run off fish, Barra,Bass,yellow belly or anything,trout out of a clean environment can be ok but maybe if your water there is clean enough Barra may eat ok.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Dinger wrote:You tried eating any,personally I cant stand fresh water or run off fish, Barra,Bass,yellow belly or anything,trout out of a clean environment can be ok but maybe if your water there is clean enough Barra may eat ok.
If a goldie was a nice cut of steak these barras would be cheap sausages. But with enough tomato sauce :chef2: but its got to be a lot :wink:
Regards Dick