Roper Info

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Roper Info

Post by mac10 »

Heading to the roper for the first time next week. Does anyone know if the road to Tomato Island is open? Is it worth driving the extra k's to Tomato Island and is it best to launch at the Bar or store?

Thanks.

Chris
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Roper Info

Post by Rhet »

http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/o ... on_id=7958
Between Mountain Creek and Hodgson River maximum GVM 4.5 tonne, light vehicles only. Water is over the road with road damage in various locations. 4WD high clearance vehicle only permitted.

You will get to the Bar, but be prepared to stay there if the above conditions have worsened.....or be prepared to stay at Tomato Island if you get through but can't get back. The Bar is currently at 1.4 over the crossing. Next week it all be different.

To answer your question though, in my opinion, it's worth driving the extra km's to Tomato Island - assuming you would be hoping to get further downstream by boat.
garrynt
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Roper Info

Post by garrynt »

The road to tomato Is was only graded a few weeks ago, but then it rained & got chopped up in spots
I've been watching stormcast http://stormcast.com.au/stormcast.html? ... :null:0#sc
And I'd feel confident going to Tomato Island for a few days next week knowing I'd get my vehicle back to civilisation. (You look for Rain to the South of the Roper, Larrimah/Daly Waters area)
Look up Roper Bar on F*c*book, they have been updating conditions daily.
Set the GPS points for Twin Sisters ,we missed them on the way down last time as the water was up. You dont want to meet them. 14 46.278 134 48.617