Cape Hotham and Ruby Island Navigation

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Cape Hotham and Ruby Island Navigation

Post by dannett »

Hi all, seeking some advice about navigating past Cape Hotham and Ruby Island on the 9th of March, probably about 6am. I reckon the tide should be about 4m and dropping slowly at that time.

My plan is to take the route below and as I approach Ruby Island I am going to slow down when I get tot he contour, throw out a big mack lures and do a fast troll until I am clear on the other side.
Capture.PNG
The area isn't "surveyed" but I note there are a couple of deeper depths between the island and the headland. Am I better off going north between the two as plotted or sneak around behind?

I am used to navigating at night, the wind looks like it is going to be less than 10 knots and my boat only draws about a foot of water. So with the tide at 4m, I am not expecting this to be too treacherous. But again, I haven't been through the area before, the moon will be down and the sun won't be up yet.

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Cape Hotham and Ruby Island Navigation

Post by Matt Flynn »

Might be fine, but it is a horrible place when it kicks up. You should be willing to push the Bail Button on the night in question if conditions are marginal, at least until daylight.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Hi Dannet

Weather aside

Probably being a bit too cautious but I would go to the south of ruby island. A few Bommies
On the north side if you don't know where they are.
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty69 »

Hi Dannett,

I've run that track a couple of times with no issues. If it's your first time, as you have said, take it easy and keep an eye out. If there is plenty of water pushing you will see the changes on the surface texture if there are significant hazards underwater.

Always wise to keep a good lookout and cruise when in new ground.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Take ghounds advice on the hot ham
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Dont forget Gunn Point Road is still closed, and is unlikely to open before the weekend.

Unless you are launching at Buffalo of course...
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Cheers fellas. I will follow the contour around to the southern side of Ruby, slowing up for a troll as I get close.

I can see a few rocks on google and Bing to the south west. If I go around that side it looks like it is deeper close to the island and then once past the spit I should make a small south eastward turn and head direct to Marsh from that point. Would that be about right? I will throw up an alternate route of what I mean.

Matt I need to get out of Buff creek before the tide gets too low, but if the wind isn't going to play nice I will hold up for sunrise at the Vernons so I don't get smashed in the dark (I'll have spotties to try and see the waves).
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Like this, the depth at way point 8 is 7.3m.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Hi dannet take the line inside ruby there is serious poop north of the island especially in the dark. Only the one reef to watch on the inside just next to the jew hole but you can cut towards marsh before that if you want.
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Jew hole you say..... Cheers Grumpy, I will check it out.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

If you do it on highish around hotham you will be ok. If you see it at low you will be amazed and take the inside route There are heavy seas at the moment just got back
tight lines
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Yeah, I imagine it i pretty choppy out there at the moment. I am banking on it being all cleared up by Thursday morning and so far it is looking good for me. I will get to see it on the 1.3m low tide on the return trip in the middle of the day Be nice if it was the other way around, but oh well. Advice has been to go to the south side so that's the plan. I expect the north side is fine once you know where the way through, that's not ideal to learn int he dark though.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Just take the Commadore and get your mates to launch you with their 4wd, as per original plan. The tracks fine at the moment.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Track was a bit wet yesty arvo, I wouldn't want to be towing with a commodore.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Yeah, but wouldn't be going in by sea either at the moment......

Assess it before you go I suppose.