channel island springs

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Settlersjoy
Silver Member
Silver Member

channel island springs

Post by Settlersjoy »

hey guys, Im looking to put the boat in on saturday but very low tides have me unable to venture into the usual haunts. Im wondering about navigation around channel island on these low tides. there are a few shallows id like to cast. if anyone is happy to part with some prop saving tips please pm me :) i know the harbour arms can fire on these tides for small periods but can also be a bit dodgey

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: channel island springs

Post by dannett »

I wouldn't go blazing away underneath the bridge, especially as the tide drops below 3.5m. If you are careful and go super slow and the water is clear enough to see the bottom you can sneak through to at least 2m though but there are plenty of rocks to hit.

On the Cox Peninsula side of Middle arm there is a line of reefs that run from Shell Island (?) out into the harbour. Check http://webapp.navionics.com/ for the location.

Jones creek is navigable on a 2.5m tide up tot he left hand bend where it gets wide and a few drains join together. Also in the very middle of the creek right after the bridge, there is a rock bar that runs with the creek for about 200m. Don't cross that on near the bottom of the tide.

Dan