Recommend new baitcaster .

balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Recommend new baitcaster .

Post by balou »

Need some retail therapy so I'm looking at buying new baitcaster for Christmas .
Anyone using the daiwa zillion TWS 1516. Had the zillion type r for 3 years and love that.
Budget 500-600.

Appreciate your feedback on this model , from daiwa stable or any other brands in this price range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Recommend new baitcaster .

Post by Rhet »

I'm in exactly the same boat at the moment.

From my reading, the T-wing on the latest Zillion was a bit 'clunky'. Earlier this week I played with the Zillion 1516, Zillion TWS, Tatula Type R and standard Tatula.....all have the same T-wing and I tend to agree with the feedback I read. I think the system is neat, but I'm not sure how functionally worthwhile it would be.
The Zillion was definitely a nicer reel than the Tatula, but I'm not sure if the $500 mag sealed reel is really worth it for the T-wing feature. If they had released a mag sealed version without the T-wing, I wouldn't hesitate......but this feature is making me think twice. I guess it's only in-effect really when casting, so may not be such a bad thing

My comparison is being made based on my current reel of Zillion type R and J-Dream.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I also have the daiwa t3 1016 with the t wing system . Does cast a long way but after 12 months of using it I'm still not 100% on the TWS system .

215g for the zillion 1516 which is so light.
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Rhet »

The T3 T-wing is actually different to the current Zillion system.

The T3 had the shroud that popped up where as the Zillion doesn't have a shroud, the t-wing clicks into place by rotating forward 90 degrees. Hence the 'clunky' nature of this model.
Old Mate
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Old Mate »

Got one, been using it for the last month. Love it.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Cheers for the feedback...anyone else thinking of buying a new bait caster for Christmas or rate anything else.
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Balou

I recently had the pleasure of using a mates Shimano Exsence DC - silky smooth, actually sacrificed a couple of lures to the tree gods....maybe too smooth. Probably around the same dollars you're looking at. Overall a very nice bit of kit.

Personally I find it difficult to go past a Chronarch 200e7, sub $300 it's hard to beat.

To sum up; if it's a Christmas Pressie for yours truly buy the Exsence.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

I've got a Tatula. Haven't used it too much, but it casts well. My bugbear with it is the 'gap' in the T-wing when retrieving is too small to wind an Albright through. I like to start with a long leader and also wind all of the line (leader included) onto the reel when not in use.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

I've been running a 200 E7 chronarch with carbon fibre drag washers for 3 years now and a slim beauty on 45lb and 55lb schnider fits no worries through the line guide it runs 55lb whiplash n stops metre plus fish including big queenies n milkies no probs.

never had a drama with it and so easy to work on /service.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty69 »

Just purchased a new Quantum Smoke 200HD. Waiting on delivery. Will report on performance after a few sessions and hopefully fish!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Exsence.

Casts very well. No clusterf..ks. 8:1 ratio.

No flashy bits. Easy to clean. Very quiet to use.

I have 2 carrot sticks used for different purposes on trips (plastic or lure). Got an Exsence for 1 and used another reel on the second one. Daiwa HRF (old type but extra reliable). Like chalk and cheese to swap rods.

So bought a 2nd Exsence so both rods now match when swapping over..
Regards
Ronje
Jack attack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jack attack »

Chronarch E7 100