Tassie Trout - A New PB

Nick.P
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tassie Trout - A New PB

Post by Nick.P »

G'day all,

Been a while since my last post, since moving to Tassie the fishing hasn't quite been the same. That sure hasn't stopped me getting out to wet a line, so heres a little story of my most recent catch!

The sun was setting, and the wind was dropping, the perfect time to sneak out for a quick fish. I arrived at my destination with an hours light to spare and rigged up with my brand new Yo-Zuri minnow.

Walked down to the waters edge to find the river level had dropped significantly since my last visit, time to start casting I guess. First cast sailed right out into the river and with a few fish feeding on the opposite bank I was shaking with anticipation. The lure hit the water and the retrieve began, twitch twitch wind, twitch twitch wind, then BANG! a nice size log snagged my lure... Bummer. A quick walk out over a mud covered log to retrieve my lure and I was back in action, although this time precariously balanced on the log I had just stumbled out onto.

Many casts later I decided it was time to change lures and retire my new toy, one last cast I told myself and hurled it out into the river. The lure was almost back at my feet and I turned to begin walking back as I wound in the last few meters when BANG and actual fish struck my lure! Well poop I thought, how do I get it back to shore? I stumbled and slipped trying to walk back along the sodden log while the fish dragged me deep into the sticks. After a good ten minutes of slow walking and back and forth fighting I finally landed the fish. My new PB brown and first sea-runner, nothing spectacular but a nice fat 45cm trout lay at my feet as I scrambled for my phone to take a few snaps.

Had a few more casts for no more success than a small river black-fish I believe, before calling it and heading for home.

I't sure wont be long before I'm back out trying at it again.
Trout1.jpg
Trout.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Tassie Trout - A New PB

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

Well done, nice fish.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

great fish, looks like a sea runner, congrats :mrgreen:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

where are you fishing down there? there are some fantastic waterways with good fishing at times. check the tackle shops for the good oil
Nick.P
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nick.P »

Matt Flynn wrote:great fish, looks like a sea runner, congrats :mrgreen:
I reckon so, the fillets that came off it could have been mistaken for a salmon! Great on the chew as well.
nomad wrote:where are you fishing down there? there are some fantastic waterways with good fishing at times. check the tackle shops for the good oil
Mostly been limited to the south due to uni, but now I'm on break should be able to explore a little wider territory. This fish came from the Huon River.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Well done on the Huon. I haven't fished down that end where you are much, all my fishing is up around Glen Huon/Judbury. Mostly little tackers, but there are some bigguns.

They get some good fish off the bridge in town at night, but I haven't given it a go.
Nick.P
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nick.P »

Ah righto, might have to give the bridge a go at night some time then, never though about fishing off it. Most of my fishing has been just up-stream of the bridge, this fish included, but plan to fish a little lower when I dust the yak off.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

I know how you feel mate this is a 52cm brown and it didn't even fight as hard as a 30 cm sooty or tarpon and they all rave about them. Everyone i showed the pic to wanted to know where, what lure n retrieve etc etc.

Caught running 20lb whiplash with 4m of 6lb maxima mono as leader casting a rapala cd9. On a 2-4kg spin rod.

Try small tassie devils in blue silver or lumo too or black blade celtas size2 they were pretty reliable also ol mate on i fish swears by the pins minnows made by yo zuri i think

We're too spoilt up here .... but at least if you snag the good lure down there you can strip off n walk out n get it. Then freeze yr nuts off . But better than getting eaten by a croc ,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.