No fish.....anywhere

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
fishingfail
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

No fish.....anywhere

Post by fishingfail »

Hey guys, First time user here. I moved up to darwin 9 months ago, I was so excited to continue my fishing addiction up here and have been on the water every spare second I have. I've been to Adelaide, south alligator, west arm, Elizabeth, shoal bay (king creek), dundee, corroboree and bynoe. I even tried mantton dam on a full moon.
I have caught a couple barra but they're all tiny and I'm averaging 1 barra per 5 trips. I only use lures and like to think I know a bit about fishing but can't seem to find any decent barra or even a decent amount.

Please help me, I feel like I'm going to the right spots at the wrong time or the right rivers but the wrong locations in the river, I read the barra bible just about everyday trying to find a breakthrough.

I have until the 6th off work,
cheers

jakedafish
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: No fish.....anywhere

Post by jakedafish »

Get the biggest deep sea mullet you can, and the biggest treble hook that money can buy. Bang metre plus

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Are you land based everywhere, or boat.
Everything is very different from southern states, you pretty much have to forget everything and start again.
What rig set up are you using?
I'm not the best person to talk to re land based. But I'm sure there is a little land based book that some of the tackle shops sell. And a lot of info and tips on different areas in the ff book, best 30 bucks you will spend when you are starting out.
fishingfail
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fishingfail »

Hey mickkk nah mate I have a boat up here 4.3 sea jay avenger. Yeah its starting to really p..s me off spending years learning how to fish in queensland and now feel like I have to start again up here. I have a daiwa zillion on a samurai run off 20lb braid usually use 60lb leader but change it up depending on where I'm fishing.

If anyones keen to go fishing between now and the 6th let me know!
fishingfail
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fishingfail »

Think I might go west arm now. See if i can find something... anything haha
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Sounds like you have a better start than me haha.
Give it time, in a few weeks there will be reports of fish everywhere at shady. There will be a bucket load of people down there but if you time it good it will work. (NeAp tides, after the barrages have broke or over flowing. I was there 3 days too early last year, fished all day for zip. When the weather is so voiltile it's pretty hard fishing. Give it time.

Only other tip, is pick an area, go there and really get to know it, go back 3 or 4 times in a row and try to crack it. Search that area in the search function and read up as much as you can, see the dates of the reports that come up, ask for tips on that one area and you may get more people helping out.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Pick an area you like and stick with it for a bunch of trips. You'll be able to figure out what works then apply that to different areas. If you change spots every weekend you have too many variables.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

theodosius wrote:Pick an area you like and stick with it for a bunch of trips. You'll be able to figure out what works then apply that to different areas. If you change spots every weekend you have too many variables.
Great advice.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Mate, the NT needs a good flush (or two) after the last couple of bad wet seasons. Once the run off starts, hang on. The fish numbers will come, just be patient and study the locations. PM me if you want some general advice on an area.
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by newfisherman »

You can always try the culverts when the weather is average or you don’t want to take your boat, there are plenty around to try and can be a bit of fun, search culvert posts or use Google earth. Some can have great fishing when the time is right. I would tell you when the time is right but I don’t really know, but I think some will start to fish soon, I just go for a drive and have a look when I have a few spare hours or sometimes we make a day of it
fishingfail
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fishingfail »

Thanks so much for the advice guys. Would be keen to try the culverts for sure!! I'll keep my eyes peeled for any looking good. I think I'm going to concentrate on either adelaide river or south alligator. I like how close the harbour is but I can't imagen many big or bigger girls being there. again thanks guys nice to see some like minded people helping each other out.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Fish to 80cm are common in the harbour. Not horses, but reliable.
Nocturnal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Nocturnal »

Mate give the adelaide a wide berth, concentrate on the top section of the south... it is a lot more consistent. The adelaide river is hard at the best of times, Shady is another river you should consider
fishingfail
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fishingfail »

I've heard so much about shady, which in turn has put me off it as I'm really not a fan of fishing in everyone else's pocket. But i suppose if i want a fish it's what I've gotta do. yeah ok the top section of the south. I went all the way to the mouth the other day and altho it was a nice cruise in the boat seeing crocs and dingos I didn't see to much that looked like it would hold fish. I got back to the boat ramp and a bloke told me that I should have gone to the other end of the river.... wasn't happy haha. oh well
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

I've been here over 12 months now and I reckon just keep hitting the same spots and observe plus try things works, I'm doing this with the Harbour and transferring what I learn this year into putting time and effort into Bynoe Harbour and Shady Camp, you'd have to say from what I have heard that good electronics can be the difference between a good day and a bad, side scan would be gold and cut a lot of the ground work out, imagine you're driving up a river arm, not much to look at on the surface but you then notice a rock bar or gutter either side of you but below it's ordinary, move your line 10m and whamo the fish show! I'm upgrading mine at the moment, just waiting for my Garmin gear to arrive.
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.