Leader to braid knot

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Leader to braid knot

Post by buzzdog »

Try the Sebile Knot.
Jump on youtube and search for Sebile knot for a visual aid.
My brother showed me this knot for the first time last year; at first I was a bit sceptical, but now I use it for everything from 20lb braid all the way up to 80lb. So far it seems to work with everything and keeps on performing.
The one thing I do different is rather than finish the knot off with one half hitch, I do two half hitches.
I also use a bit of heat to round off the tag end of the mono leader to bring it up flush with the end of the knot and avoid it catching on the guides. Be sure not to come too close otherwise you'll burn to much, I also burn the tag end of the braid.
I've only ever used Schneider leader line with this knot, the clear stuff and so far it's held it's own.
I've attempted a few experiments with pairing up different weight leaders to different weight braids to see how it would go:

30lb leader to 20lb braid
30lb leader to 30lb braid
55lb leader to 30lb braid
110lb leader to 80lb braid

All four combinations have performed and best of all, I can still wind on each of these leaders without issue.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Buzz

buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by buzzdog »

Here is the video tutorial for the Sebile knot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N0mCf0AIAA

Cheers

Buzz
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by buzzdog »

I found an article by Sportfishing Mag online, titled the 'Fishing Knot Challenge.

They tested 44 knots tied by readers to learn which braid-to-mono leader connection proved strongest.

The Improved FG knot came out on top as the strongest when tied with a braid double and the Sebile knot came out on top when tied with a braid single

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniqu ... -challenge

Interesting to say the least.

Cheers

Buzz
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Try a few and test them with scales none are a hundred percent but you'll soon find a good one for your brand of leader n braid combo different types need different knots to get their best breaking strain.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.