Shady 23rd

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Tommy222220_0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shady 23rd

Post by Tommy222220_0 »

Guys,

Headed out Shady on Wednesday. Despite leaving in the pissing down rain and raining all the way - it magically stopped at the ramp. Water clarity at the ramp and up top - pretty chocolate as you'd expect after the rain. Headed down to the mouth to find the clear water. 5 Boats total at the mouth 8) Obsession + Reel Screaming charters, 2 others and us. Put on my biggest green B52 and started the conga line. Marked a few fish on the side scan early but didn't come on the bite until the 1st of the incoming. (cleaner water) Then there were little grains of rice all over the sidescan. 1st hook up revealed they were big threadies. Caught 6 all up biggest 93cm to fork. Probably saw around 30ish caught as everyone was getting amongst it 8)

Guessing the rain must of shut the barra down. Left mouth round 3 and had boat packed away before dinner :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shady 23rd

Post by theodosius »

Bit bigger than our tgteady from Bynoe!!
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

Nice thread's, good to chew
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Nice one. I love catching big threadies. Taste awesome too
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Finatic2 »

Love your work, how was the launch at the barrage, is there any water coming over it?
Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Nice work :mrgreen: be a much more pleasant day with only a handful of boats on the water. We were supposed to head down Friday but my mates boat shat itself so we had to settle for a Middle Arm run in mine. Picked up a few nice Goldies so all was not lost.

I can't agree with all the comments about the Threadies being so good on the chew, nothing wrong with the 50-60cm models out of the harbour, they're very tasty but I've tried those big Shady Threadies a few times and without exception found them to be stringy, tough and gristly. Tried cooking them in a variety of ways, cutting them up differently, no matter what I do they're still shite. :P Pity.

:cheers:
Melv
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Nice fish, well done.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I've tried those big Shady threadies a few times and without exception found them to be stringy, tough and gristly.
Interesting, the netters must have flogged thousands of them over the years, maybe the buyers turn them into chicken nuggets :lol:

Found the same with big grunter, a bit stringy, although not bad enough to knock it back.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Those big threadies are still delicious I reckon
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I think they taste great. And they go hard. Well done
Tommy222220_0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Shady 23rd and 11th

Post by Tommy222220_0 »

Went back on Sunday the 11th to try for the million $$$. Water quality - chocolate. I was super hungover after finishing up at the work Xmas party at 130, we were on the road by 330 with me snoring in the passenger seat. Quick flick at the barage then Headed straight out to the reef out front. 1st drop 64 jack. 2nd drop Powertail, next drop 104 Jew. 8) Went back to the mouth to try for some baz on the 1st of the run in. Managed to pickup a tready at the mouth of the small creek on the east side (bit of fresh coming out at low :)) not much on the sounder so headed back out the front. Couple goldies then on our last piece of bait 110 Jew. 8) Not bad at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

That was some tasty fish. This rain should start things flowing now