mullet traps

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Mitcho
Gold Member
Gold Member

mullet traps

Post by Mitcho »

has anyone had any experience with fish traps ? Are they legal in the NT? does anyone use them? it would be good to get mullet on the high tide.

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: mullet traps

Post by jeffish »

a cast net is easier .
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

As Jeff said. I only used mullet traps in NSW because throw nets are illegal down there
Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

Pity I cant use a cast net here in Yamba as I dont have much luck with traps
Mitcho
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mitcho »

Cast net is no dramas and very efficient but dropping a few traps on high tide would be very handy also . What sort of traps do u use dinger ?
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

In NSW I used to use a clear plastic storage tub (circa 10L) with a clip on lid. Cut a square 2 x 2inch in the centre of the lid. Submerge, sometimes required a rock or two inside or on the lid to weigh down and pull some bread apart and stick inside. You only want about 2inches of water over the top, otherwise the bream will raid. So you need to constantly monitor, replenish bread etc. Wave motion will move the bread around inside until it becomes available. Berely with some small pieces on top of the trap.

The last hr of the run in only. If you get a couple in there and others are around leave them in.

Time consuming but effective.

NB: species, tides, heat, humidity, patience and likelihood of getting eaten may vary considerably in the NT.
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty69 »

We used a rectangular metal frame encased in fly screen. Wish I still had photos.

Basically pencil sized metal rods welded together, approx 2' x 1' x 5" high with a circular hole in the centre on top about the size of a 1.25L soft drink bottle. Completely wrapped/sewn in flyscreen type material (except the hole of course). Would sink and sit in the shallows even with a fair bit of run. Usually only put it in about less than knee deep water on sand bars. Whole pieces of bread, which would very slowly break apart, and the minute pieces would go through the screen leaving a burly type trail.

Agree with most of the posts above, up here, it's easier and probably more effective with a cast net.
Mitcho
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mitcho »

Thanx fellas for the info will let everyone no how I went with what Eva I make lol
Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

Ive tried the mesh fold up ones and the big drink bottle with cross cut in the top ,not a lot of succes with either.I see a new bigger perspex one on the market but havnt seen them in use,gotta be carefull as theres size restrictions on traps.I see a lot of blokes jagging big mullet when they school up here for jewies but will get in the poop if caught doing it,you have to have a licence to fart in NSW.
Mick7805
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mick7805 »

just a heads up - mullet traps are not legal up here. Fisheries rules state what amateur fishermen can use and no mention of traps other than crab and cherrabin pots. copy of law pasted below.

46 Amateur fishing gear

(1) A person engaged in amateur fishing must not use or have possession of fishing gear other than the following items or an item ancillary to the use of the gear:
(a) vertical line, as hand line or rod and reel;
(b) float line;

(c) troll line;

(d) complying freshwater pot;

(e) complying marine pot;

(f) dilly pot;

(g) amateur drag net

(h) cast net;

(i) scoop net;

(j) bow and arrow other than crossbow;

(ja) spear-gun;

(k) gaff (including hand-held hook);

(l) hand spear;

(m) knife.

Maximum penalty: 40 penalty units.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

mullet trap.jpeg
Here's a mullet trap
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Dinger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Dinger »

Brown trout in that one
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

just a heads up - mullet traps are not legal up here. Fisheries rules state what amateur fishermen can use and no mention of traps other than crab and cherrabin pots. copy of law pasted below.

46 Amateur fishing gear

(1) A person engaged in amateur fishing must not use or have possession of fishing gear other than the following items or an item ancillary to the use of the gear:
(a) vertical line, as hand line or rod and reel;
(b) float line;

(c) troll line;

(d) complying freshwater pot;

(e) complying marine pot;

(f) dilly pot;

(g) amateur drag net

(h) cast net;

(i) scoop net;

(j) bow and arrow other than crossbow;

(ja) spear-gun;

(k) gaff (including hand-held hook);

(l) hand spear;

(m) knife.

Maximum penalty: 40 penalty units.
There's a lot resting on the word "ancillary".

Definition of ancillary
1. providing necessary support to the primary activities or operation of an organization, system.
2. providing something additional to a main part or function

Stick of dynamite is by definition an ancillary item if it is lowered down on the rod and reel because the fish aren't biting. :D

Perhaps the word has been tried and tested in law.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Shots from a .22 caliber :hunting: do a nice job of stunning them so you can just scoop them up :D
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

.308 gets a whole school in one shot.