Shady Camp Barrage

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Bacon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Shady Camp Barrage

Post by Bacon »

Hi All,

I needed to put this post up and highlight some disgusting behaviour I observed out at Shady Camp today. Perhaps some of you know this clown and can tell the guy to pull his head in.

There were two groups at the barrage around lunch both fishing the upstream side. One of the groups included two guys fishing using rods and a hand line. The hand line was baited with a live tarpon which is clearly 'bait fishing'... He had bait on another line which looked like bread possibly to catch additional livebait.

Everyone knows there are crocodiles in Shady Camp and yes they hang around the Barrage. Well this clown observed a crocodile about 20 odd metres upstream from the barrage and after throwing rocks, he lit and threw a firework which exploded in the water very close to the croc. As you can expect, the croc was startled and took off. He continued throwing rocks and fireworks while I was there. I suspect the reason no barra were hanging around the barrage was entirely due to this clown throwing fireworks in the water. The dickhead ended up complaining that he couldn't catch a fish.

None of the second group where using single hooks.

I will be touching base with Parks and Fisheries tomorrow about his behaviour.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shady Camp Barrage

Post by theodosius »

Shady barrage is often a scary place and the crocs are usually the least of your worries!
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

That's shitfull behavior. Hopefully you have a good description of the fella and the vehicles they were in.

Would be great to see Parks and Fisheries do something about it.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Meh, every day at shady now. I gave up fishing there for that reason.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

cuddlescooper wrote:Meh, every day at shady now. I gave up fishing there for that reason.
Same here, I haven't been back there for years. Too many idiots, and if you ever say something, all they want to do is abuse you and prove how right they are by fighting. Keep driving on to Cahills, most of the retards must think thats too far too drive.
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

put a pic of the culprit on here.
that does sound about normal for the barrage but.

go there for the midnight high and its even worse.

I was there on Saturday just gone. the 4 people that were there were all doing the right thing. (I even gave one of the guys a small plastic that was working)
we did catch about 10 rats in the 2 hours we were there and lost 1 decent one (would of been legal)

be nice if someone actually got done (fined not eaten) at the barrage for once to make an example.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

They used to have big busts down there, once a year and they would make a big fanfare of it. Hasn't happened for a while, or if it has, no fanfare.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Be alright if fisheries had the funding. Its the one thing that holds them back from going there on a moreregular basis.
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

Fisheries don't go there, it's the cops that do, every now and then. I don't go there anymore either so can't comment about the frequency of the visits
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Cops, rangers... Any one who should be out there is never anywhere to be seen out there. Funny cause there's a ranger station at rockhole turn off, so it ain't far to go for them. This behaviour only comes with knowing they can get away with it, coppers could have a field day there every full moon, but too lazy or don't care, must be to far from McDonalds cause thats where I see them the most.
Bit of a joke really. Even during the day last time I was there, every tourist there had trebles on
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

The frequency of visits by Rangers or Water Police does need to improve big time. But with more frequent reports of illegal/wrong behavior, the Rangers/Police will have more of a reason to travel the distance to potentially catch people in the act.

I reported three fellas live baiting there last year. Unfortunately nothing came of the report but at least the Police had a report of it.

The more reports, the higher likelihood of something happening.
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

that's why I was saying put up a pic of the offender on here.
he will get more shame and feel like a tool from being exposed on the forum then just about anything the authorities will do.
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

just for curiosity,where the vehicles they were in inpex or interstate???
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

bring_it_on wrote:just for curiosity,where the vehicles they were in inpex or interstate???
it is more locals than any one else that does the wrong thing. Most southernors are too scared to go near the water so you cant blame any body other than the regulars.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

I thought tourist adopted the I'm scared of the water trick to coops. But not always, late last year on two occasions I watched one guy with Vic rego and his mate actually catch a metre long saltie from the ramp and walked around holding him for 15 mins, second time I had to tell guys they were being stalked as they were in knee deep on high tide at night and didn't seem to care about the big boy watching them from 20m away. I was actually told there's only a few crocs and there's nothing to worry about there, I kinda just laughed. They are worse then locals with the mentality if they can't see them it must be safe.
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne