New to catching billfish

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New to catching billfish

Post by rumluck »

Land based chubbs.

sanigav
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sanigav »

fellas, how are you rigging your gar's? what sort of daisy chain teasers do you have/recommend? after some chats with the blokes at fishing and outdoor world ive been able to raise some sails lately in the vicinity of the Perons. in my opinion doing the whole job yourself is too hard. You've gotta keep your eyes locked on the spread, whilst driving through your route looking at the sounder, and in the event you're on you're leaving yourself open to tangles with the rest of the spread
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

One word for you Sanigav- "Autopilot".
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

Solo only really works with limited gear in the water or live baiting. Teasers that I use are from Steve Palumbo from Broome, Google Easy Tease if you're interested in a solid daisy chain for a good price. As for rigging the baits, there are a truck load of ways,mid I'm lazy it's a pin rig otherwise I'll stitch a gar up.

Happy to show my method one on one some time if you're keen otherwise here is some local knowledge from a local guru :mrgreen:
http://fishingterritory.com/blogs/tragi ... bait-bits/
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
mick_c
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mick_c »

seems to be a fair bit of interest around at the moment.
you guys should look into fishing the darwin game fishing club billfish classic, it runs for 3 days in the first week of November.
normally flat calm weather and last year the fish were thick for darwin standards with a larger number of blacks tagged then previous years. the next meeting on the first Tuesday of October will be the bait rigging night so if your looking for some more insight
and gaining a bit more experience you should definitely look into it.
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

mick_c wrote:seems to be a fair bit of interest around at the moment.
you guys should look into fishing the darwin game fishing club billfish classic, it runs for 3 days in the first week of November.
normally flat calm weather and last year the fish were thick for darwin standards with a larger number of blacks tagged then previous years. the next meeting on the first Tuesday of October will be the bait rigging night so if your looking for some more insight
and gaining a bit more experience you should definitely look into it.
I'd love to raise a bill or two but I don't think my little 470 top ender will cut it chasing them.
mick_c
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mick_c »

i know a few guys who have caught them out of smaller boats out of dundee.
the comp runs a few classes for different size boats, up to 6mtrs and above 6mtrs.
keeps it a level playing field so your not trying to compete with the bigger game boats,
plus the grounds off dundee are only a short run from the boat ramp and with the weather normally experienced in the first week of november should be a nice flat run to and from the ramp.
Chubbs93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chubbs93 »

Cheers for continued info guys its been great, good to see others helping out the newbies what this forum is all about keep up the positive feeds
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

I reckon im gonna go down to lee point with my cast net for the 7am high to get some gars if anyones keen to join me?
Chubbs93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chubbs93 »

rumluck wrote:I reckon im gonna go down to lee point with my cast net for the 7am high to get some gars if anyones keen to join me?
Have anyluck with gars mate?
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Nah. Got a couple but Was windy as.
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

+2 for what Mick_C said, even just attending the next meeting which is at Fishing and Outdoor world on the 4th for the info there on bait rigging and tactics would be of some help to you newbies, the following month i "should" be demonstrating how to make wind on leaders as well.
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Gars are good but small whiting are nearly as good too. They can be caught around Lee Pt with a cast net in good numbers....
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Simmo83 wrote:+2 for what Mick_C said, even just attending the next meeting which is at Fishing and Outdoor world on the 4th for the info there on bait rigging and tactics would be of some help to you newbies, the following month i "should" be demonstrating how to make wind on leaders as well.
Just thought I'd share a few pics of the a bait rigging night I went to. So much info offered up
by the boys from DGFC .Well worth it :mrgreen:
022.JPG
034.JPG
031.JPG
023.JPG
028.JPG
024.JPG
026.JPG
I've posted these before but thought a few newcomers might like em.

Cheers
Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Face from 'the past' in there - Bring Back Doug ........ 8)