Thank God for our Darwin Harbour!

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Thank God for our Darwin Harbour!

Post by ozdodge »

After so many mediocre fishing trips down The Track this last wet season, I thank God for our Darwin Harbour, full of fish and just a five minute drive from home to the boat ramp!

First trip I did recently was with a mate and we went to my ol' stomping grounds in Middle Arm on a 1.8m low.

It was a crisp dry season day - barely raised a sweat all day. The fish weren't going crazy, but we still managed a couple keeper barra and some by-catch including trevally, barracuda and a couple decent goldies. An easy feed for a half day trip.
harbour barra.jpg
dropping tide.jpg
harbour barra 2.jpg
Next trip was last weekend, again, just an easy half day trip, this time out chasing tuna with my boy Ziggy, now 15, and his mate Tate. The tides were starting to build just after the neaps. We'd just picked up a new spinning rod for Ziggy from Fishing and Outdoor World and we were keen to christen it with a decent tuna or two.

We launched at the Ski Club, and started to zip across towards Six Mile Buoy, but only got a third of the way there when we stumbled upon our first school of fish busting up. Ziggy was quick to cast, and his first shot landed right among them for an immediate hookup. The fish gave him some curry on his light spinning outfit, doing lots of circle work down below the boat. Just as Ziggy asked me whether he should tighten the drag the hooks pulled and he sat back adrenaline still running hot, cursing his bad luck.

We headed off again, and once again, before we got very far, we spotted another school, this time towards East Point. Over we zoomed and we all landed casts in the pack, but the luck was with Ziggy this day and Tate and my retrieves were ignored as Ziggy hooked up to another fast running harbour tuna. This time he turned the tables early, not wanting to let the fish dictate the fight, and the tuna came to the boat super green and thrashing about. My gaff job was on the money, and we hoisted the fish into the boat, glad to have secured a fish relatively early in the trip. It was a decent harbour tuna, and Ziggy was rapt, having dropped three tuna the last trip we'd been on, chasing them off Dundee.
hooked up.jpg
hooked up 2.jpg
harbour tuna.jpg
Off we went again, and this time we made it to Six Mile, but there was no action there, so off we went wide of East Point and there were lots of schools cruising the area, along with a few other boats driving this way and that. It was Ziggy again who connected to a fish, and like the experienced angler he is, he hustle it to the boat and the waiting gaff and into the esky it went.
harbour tuna 1.jpg
harbour tuna 2.jpg
That was it for the day, but for only a few hours on the water, we brought home enough fillets for a few family meals, and it was another great day on our wonderful Darwin Harbour.

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Thank God for our Darwin Harbour!

Post by jeffish »

WoW ,,Ripper report Trev , great fish mate :mrgreen:
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Great report Trev :mrgreen: It's always nice to head over the horizon to fish far flung destinations but the quality of pelagic and Barra fishing right on our doorstep just gets better every year.

:cheers:
Melv
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

:) Some nice fish there Trev, well done getting Ziggy amongst them
Nothing better than watching the kids have fun catching good fish, love those harbour tuna.

Great report and nice pics :applause:

The long trips are good but the short close ones can be great sometimes!!!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Nice work Trev. I can't wait to get in amongst it too. I just hope that I can find a few schools like you did
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Awesome, looks like the harbour will be the last spot we'll be free to fish unfettered by land claims and restrictions
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Nice fish guys. That kid is going to out fish you... Where's the competition!? :D
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Cracker report :mrgreen:
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Great work guys, well done