Weird fish?

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Weird fish?

Post by buzzdog »

G'day Team,
Was wondering if anyone out there would happen to know what species of fish this is? It had the colouration of a Javelin Fish but the shape of a batfish, almost like a John Dory like shape?
Our new Au-pair 'Anders' caught it in upper reachers of Reichardt Creek today.
My daughter 'Dakota' managed a chunky Flathead and a few solid Bream and our outgoing Au-pair 'Patricia' also landed a few solid Bream as well.
The plan was to head out to see if any Barra and muddies were lurking around; but all we managed were the fish mentioned above and a heap of Blue Swimmer Crabs...it was only after I tossed the first 5 back that it dawned on me that we may get a feed and if we did keep the first lot, we probably would have..oh well.

Cheers

Buzz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Weird fish?

Post by Sullo »

Sickle fish
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

yep, see them more in Queensland, first one I have seen from NT. Bloke at Hinchinbrook told me they are tasty, but I have never eaten one ...
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by buzzdog »

Yeah right, a Sickle fish, interesring; cheers Sullo.

So Matt, going off your comment, this catch would deffinately be an odd/strange catch???

Because we weren't too sure what the fish was, nor if it was edible, we released it rather than killing it and later finding out we couldn't use it and therefore wasting it.

I'll let Anders know.
kahawai kevin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kahawai kevin »

Saw a couple of those snorkeling around the mangroves at Nightcliff yesterday. Plenty of the usual butterfish but then a couple of those fellas.
Live each day as if it were your last.
kahawai kevin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kahawai kevin »

A lot of bream getting around right at the waters edge too just quietly. Some good size ones in amongst them. All in less than 2ft of water. Deeper than that.....nothing.
Live each day as if it were your last.