Kakadu road reports

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Kakadu road reports

Post by Matt Flynn »

There have been a few comments about what's open and what's not. Here's the list ... https://kakaduroadreport.wordpress.com/

CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Kakadu road reports

Post by CharFin »

So 17 things are stll closed and its nearly mid June, which many were closed since Oct. That's a bit over 3 months until they start shutting things again. This is when Kakadu has had bugger all rain for the year. They are also burning the place so ....it doesn't burn. I wonder why tourists don't want to pay a fortune to see burnt out scrub and closed signs everywhere. One thing was closed due to buffalo sightings.......fark me. Probably just a story to justify a gov funded heli hunt, in addition to the work hours poaching. Tourist numbers are half of what they used to be and declining.
I have an idea ... Let it be a park and stop stuffing around with it with Nancy rules and let people enjoy it. Every photo of Jim Jim and twin falls on their advertising material is taken during the wet when it's closed to visitors. When it's open you can usually pee a bigger flow.

Same with the renyolds track when the poms got bogged in 2wd. There was no reason it should have been closed. If the track was open old mate would have driven up behind them and said lock those and put that in 4wd and it would have been sorted. No epirb, police or news story required. Even if it was a difficult crossing like if it was 20 times harder it's called "adventure" that's why people spend $10k+ on their 4wd. Instead of flogging "come visit the nt" adds on Darwin tv channels (if they can see them they are already here!) The Muppets at tourism nt need to ensure stuff is opened up and not let the parks people keep stuff closed to save themselves work. They are choking the nt to death.
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty69 »

I think we need a like button for posts like above.
donegal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by donegal »

well said
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

What he said!^^^
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Yep,worst wet season in history and latest opening of the billabongs ever. Starting to p..s me off. Kakadu can go blow itself. The rangers use it as an excuse to fish the billabongs for themselves. One muppet tourist goes in and gets bogged and all of a sudden its too dangerous. Fark off ya nancy greeny tree hugging flour lovers. Rangers get payed good money. They surely can get off there arse and do one or two car recoverys from time to time from muppets who get bogged and dont take the right gear. But dont punish the rest of us who believe in çharles darwins theory and go a little prepared to look after our selves.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Park numbers are halved. Well the park is only open half of the time now...... do the maths!
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Four Mile is closed due to Salvinia infestation.........mark my words, this will be used as justification to close it permanently.........Parks Australia have been looking for reasons for years, now it looks like they have one.........kiss Four Mile Hole goodbye.........
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

What Charfin said. Firkin :bs:

:cheers:
Melv
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Don't get me started on being OVER REGULATED :fubird:

I don't remember half of that cr.p if any being closed back in the 70's. If it was too wet you just didn't go, you didn't need someone telling you there is a puddle on the road. :banghead: :banghead:

Like it has already been said 4 mile will be just memories. I wonder what the fines are for ignoring the closed signs :idea: Who wants to fish those billabongs late in the year when there is no flow at all :bs: :bs:

KACKA!!! is the right word for the place :mrgreen:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

People have been miserable about the park for a long while. I spoke at length to a bloke who ran a tourist facility out that way. He got plenty of feedback from Aussie tourists, backpackers and fishos, and he said many of his punters were unhappy with Kakadu.

Fishos were miserable about lack of access (late road openings), and tourists told him there was a lack of facilities in the park. Given the required amount of travelling, some found the park underwhelming, aside from Ubirr.

In the case of access, this could be easily improved.

As for 4-Mile ever being reopened, the top of the South is still closed ... dunno why when you see clods of salvinia floating down the river each year, what difference would boats make? And the West Alligator is still closed, even though there is no wilderness research out there that I know of.

There is some very good fishing in Kakadu, but I doubt that promoting fishing is a priority for Parks.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Yellow Waters will be next cab off the rank........
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

yep, well said Charfin

been driving in there for over 25 years, went a coupla weeks ago finally coz the road to Cooinda was open, wasn't worth it, all the tracks closed
couldn't drive anywhere offroad, and when we went along the south a little where we could, a chopper flew past and dropped fire bombs around us, had to hightail it out.

there weren't any signs on the road to say burning was taking place!!!!!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

"a chopper flew past and dropped fire bombs around us"

Just when you thought things out there couldn't get any worse, bwahahaha.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Be interesting to know how many of these extra visitors are going to Kakadu NP ... http://www.news.com.au/national/norther ... c2fa26cd50