Fitting a snorkel.

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Fitting a snorkel.

Post by volkoff »

Anyone on here competent in fitting a snorkel to a MN Triton Diesel. Looking at buying one but they are so dear to buy up here and get fitted.

Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Fitting a snorkel.

Post by Seastorm »

If you fit it yourself, just follow the stencil pattern and hold the drill tight like you are just cradling ya first metery …those big 85mm hole saws bite!
sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Post by sharkbait »

Use masking tape over the paint before you draw the hole outline, it prevents the paint chipping around the edges. Also, try YouTube for a few vids, if you're keen to give it a go. Remember, measure twice, cut once..
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Post by volkoff »

The misses wants me to get it fitted properly.Im sure I could do it. So probably get one supplied and fitted by 4wd auto parts in Stuart park. $590.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Do it yourself -easy as
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

volkoff wrote:The misses wants me to get it fitted properly.Im sure I could do it. So probably get one supplied and fitted by 4wd auto parts in Stuart park. $590.

I fitted mine to my ford , pretty easy.
Little nervous moment while sawing through a perfectly new car with a hole saw....but worked out fine!

Just get the stencil right, check over & over... I actually got it all right then had lunch...then went back and checked again before drilling...

I treated my drill holes with rust protection too before final bolt up.

Mine required 76mm hole.. Dunno what yours will be? But got brand new sharp bit if ya need it? Wasnt cheap just to do one hole.
Made awesome improvement to running.. Added new K&N filter as well, breathes a treat, better fuel economy too.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

I can fit it for you no worries but need the correct size hole saw. Pm me if interested
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I would have the hole saws you would need. When fitting the pillar bracket don't put a bit of sikaflex behind it. The fittings the give you come loose al the bl..dy time. Make sure you get the one with the washer replacement bottle.

I fitted mine no worries. Get a safari snorkel. I have herd airtec is a bit fiddely. Have herd problems with the cheap eBay ones with their templates are wrong

That price you had seems pretty fair if it includes the washer bottle
littlemack3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by littlemack3 »

Locktite on the backing nuts save problems later thought I would get ways with it having lock nuts but did work loose mind you it is a cheapy from 4x4supacentre online tiger11 , wouldn't recomend plastics moulding is not that great cracked the ram head first trip out from corrugations just put safari ram on all good the rest of snorkel early days see how it goes I guess you do get what you pay for I would just spend the extra on safari next time template was spot on thow also mine was 92mm hole saw hard to find and expensive had a 62 mm in tool box so started with that and just a very fine metal saw blade on the jigsaw did the trick very neat cut no paint chipping so long as you have steady hand and take it slow good luck easy job otherwise
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

I did my MN Triton. it was a pain in the ass, and ive fitted a few before on Landcruisers and Patrols. I would pay somebody else to do another Triton if I had too
76Tourer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by 76Tourer »

Another tip would be use a step drill for the smaller holes as a drill bit will grab in the thin metal .
Malted
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Malted »

Thread necro: what did you do volkoff?
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

Hopefully he didn't go to a certain dealer and have the wrong one fitted like i had done.