Permits!!!

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Gibbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Permits!!!

Post by Gibbo »

Does anyone know what the #@*% is going on!!!!!! :banghead:
am going to the daly on the 10th for 5days
then to the south/east for 16
will i need a permit ?
where do i get one?
how do i get one :???: :???: :???:
very confusing
does anyone know
cheers :cheers:

FISHING IS LIFE
----------------------
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

permits

Post by Matt Flynn »

I am told there will be an announcement on Monday.
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

Apparently they are going to be free for the next 2 years,which begs the question why the f#@* do we need one at all? Whats the purpose,a piece of paper. More tax dollars being waisted.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

permits

Post by Matt Flynn »

I think the free permits are required to tide us over until the High Court appeal because otherwise we would be trespassing.

There are many legal implications now - it is incredibly complicated - as I understand it you could probably string a gill net across the Daly etc and not be breaking any law because the NT Fisheries Act does not apply there any more.

If the High Court appeal is won by Aborigines we will probably have to pay for permits - I predict there will be a whole regime of permits, perhaps day permits, annual permits, permits for different rivers, and new closed areas.

I also expect that netters will tend to work areas where they don't have to pay for permits - probably the areas that we fish heavily.
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

That's how pathetic the world has become. Now there is no stopping illegal fisherman,they can do what they want,due to a ridiculous technicality!!!!
Let's all head out and gill net every creek mouth of the Daly and take everything!
Surely common sense has to prevail at a time like this????However it's not that common.....

Sorry,I'm in a bad mood because I can't get to the South.. :wink:
Gibbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbo »

Not only do the police have no powers customs cannot arrest indo fisherman within those area,s as well
how stupid :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
FISHING IS LIFE
----------------------
Glenn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Glenn »

So we have two years of "grace" and then who knows what will happen.

I get the feeling that they really were counting on the ruling in thier favour. Otherwise they would have had a permit framework to roll out the moment the gavel touched wood.

Now they have two years to brain-storm with the lawyers on how they can squeeze as much money and angst out of us (commercial and amature fisherman alike) as possible.

I was told today, about the Kiwis doing something similar over there. When the new authority couldn't get enough money from the paying public, they leased the fisheries to overseas companies that paid top dollar. Those companies took the lot and now they are left with nothing. That info came from a local Commercial Fisherman I know.

Commercial and Amature fisherman have worked long and hard with the Local and Federal Governments to establish clear and reasonable regulations and laws to manage our fisheries and educate all parties on those laws and regs. Now that it all seems to operate in harmony this S#@T happens................

Do I have this right then?: If an illegal Fisho slips through and makes it to coastal ares of remote NT, the RAN, Customs amd MARPOL have no jurisdiction? Are the Traditional owners are then responsible for what happens to them? What about immigration, what about quarintine?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, Whopper in one hand, Beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!!!
Backlash
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Backlash »

Not sure about the grace period...........as of next week hopefully it will be a little clearer and the permits readily available before easter weekend.I dont see this as a doom and gloom but just another fee we will have to pay to enjoy our sport.If we compare ourselves to other states we are not doing to badly in the costs involved to get a few fish...............facilities on the other hand are a different story.
Hopefully more info will be revealed next week.

Lash
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

permits

Post by Matt Flynn »

It could actually work out well if they decide to have tourism-only areas with no netting - I wouldn't mind paying for a permit to fish areas that have no nets. Would be a good PR move too.
flicker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

permits

Post by flicker »

I still say :fubird: they should be thankfull they even got their land back.
Its not the small cost of a permit, it just sh...s me that more and more stuff keeps getting given away.

Flicker
you don't know if you don't give it a go
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

I'll wait till I sober up to respond to this one :cheers: in the mean time I'll keep trespassin :moon:

BEAR
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

What a pandoras box this Permit stuff has opened :o

I can see it turning into a money grab in the next 1-2 years IMHO. I don't have an issue with a small 1 off fee or even an 12 month fee but not at a huge cost ($5-$10). But where would the money go???

The other thing is who will police it?? The Police MFEU are under staffed and under resourced so they can't do it all. They have bantered around the idea of local ranger groups (with no powers) to check permits, what a crock if sh*t that would turn out to be. That would lead to some serious trouble on the water I think.

The only good thing out of all of this is that the federal and NT government are both against the current decision. So we are getting help in the courts from some serious QC's and others.

Anyway lets wait and see what they come up with.
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

dont know about that matt they are talking about a premium price for a non local dosent sound to good for PR.
also this seems to be deviding the territory not making one where we all live together and remember the indigenous population is only 2% of Australia. i dont mind paying a permit but as long as the money goes to a good cause like more outback schools so they can get an education.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
Glenn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Glenn »

There's a lot more to it then merely wetting a line.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, Whopper in one hand, Beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!!!