8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post Reply
fisherman666
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:21 pm

8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post by fisherman666 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Hey guys sold my little cartopper to come to the NT and now I have 4.5 stacer tinny with a '97 Force (Merc) 50 HP that runs sweet. Saying that it's a motor I have NO history with. I'm Katherine based and will be fishing the rivers and I'm desperate to have an aux in case of breakdown. Especially since the kids will come out too and if I ever get stuck out in the Roper for example my wife probably won't let em come out ever again. I still have my Suzuki 8 hp that I have full faith in. It's about 30 kilos though. I'm worried it's too heavy. What do you think FFF? I plan to use a gal steel outboard motor bracket. Must be a towable setup too. I'm careful with the ol back and don't want to on/off the bl..dy thing not that have anyway to carry the 8 anyway. Willing to spend the time now to get a good setup. Both of the o/boards are 2 strokes. Thanks
IMG_20160119_194608.jpg
IMG_20160118_093908.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



User avatar
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:29 pm
Location: Acacia hills

Re: 8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post by Scottie5.3 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:14 pm

Doesn't look like you have much too play with at the back there. I wouldn't recomend going the gal steel bracket though, it won't be there in a year. Talk to a ally welder about having a small extension welded in on one side to fit motor. Wouldn't think the extra weight would affect it too much, just might have to reposition the esky or counter balance it a bit.
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne

fisherman666
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Re: 8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post by fisherman666 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:09 pm

Scottie5.3 wrote:Doesn't look like you have much too play with at the back there. I wouldn't recomend going the gal steel bracket though, it won't be there in a year. Talk to a ally welder about having a small extension welded in on one side to fit motor. Wouldn't think the extra weight would affect it too much, just might have to reposition the esky or counter balance it a bit.
I know what you mean about the dissimilar metals. What about getting a rear step fitted and do
tohatsu1.jpg
something like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fisherman666
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Re: 8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post by fisherman666 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:59 pm

Any other thoughts out there? Still haven't decided which way to go

Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: 8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post by Basstad » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:08 pm

Sell both and buy one you can trust?

fisherman666
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Re: 8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post by fisherman666 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:23 pm

Nah mate have caught that tagged fish yet

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Posts: 3115
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:53 pm
Location: Darwin

Re: 8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post by cuddlescooper » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:04 pm

It's a catch 22. Your gonna spend money one way or the other with that set up. I personally would try get a good reliable outboard if you are gonna do big runs in remote areas.

But For the set up you are looking at I would think that you will require a pod and a mounting bracket built on the transom to give you stability and bouyancy. 30 kgs is a lot to add right on the transom and off center of the boat. It could be done but if you get on a river with wind against tide at anchor you might run into trouble due to a lack of free board. Also have to be very careful when you come off the plane as the following wake will most likely come over the back.

The other problem is you do get the pod and transom work done there is no guessing the life of the old motor. It could go for years or it might die tomorrow. In th long run id get a reliable out fit from the start if possible.

User avatar
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:07 am

Re: 8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post by dannett » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:13 pm

Why not ditch the 8hp and get a bow mount electric? Then you have motor you can put to good use and in a pinch it could get you to a safe location.

BTW I used to fish out of a 3.9m stacer with an older 25 hp 2 stroke. That little combo used as much fuel as my 5.2m plate boat with a 100 hp yamaha. If you are getting less than 3km per litre an upgrade (doesn't have to be new, there are plenty of people selling outboards with 300 hours on them) might help save some money at the bowser too.

fisherman666
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Re: 8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post by fisherman666 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:55 am

cuddlescooper wrote:It's a catch 22. Your gonna spend money one way or the other with that set up. I personally would try get a good reliable outboard if you are gonna do big runs in remote areas.

But For the set up you are looking at I would think that you will require a pod and a mounting bracket built on the transom to give you stability and bouyancy. 30 kgs is a lot to add right on the transom and off center of the boat. It could be done but if you get on a river with wind against tide at anchor you might run into trouble due to a lack of free board. Also have to be very careful when you come off the plane as the following wake will most likely come over the back.

The other problem is you do get the pod and transom work done there is no guessing the life of the old motor. It could go for years or it might die tomorrow. In th long run id get a reliable out fit from the start if possible.
You are confirming my suspicions exactly that it's just too heavy. I just needed to hear it from some one else I think. I am willing to look at newer motors in the future but I would probably still feel the same about having some kind of backup if I'm far down the Roper or Daly. Just me I suppose.

That's why i am happy to push on with the 50 as she has no issues at all (so far). Selling the 8 would pretty much fund a 12v 54lb bow mount electric so that makes sense. They're awesome for fishing regardless and in a river situation could save me paddling home provided the tide and wind are favourable. It would not be a real aux but a compromise at least. Cheers

fisherman666
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Re: 8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post by fisherman666 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:01 am

dannett wrote:Why not ditch the 8hp and get a bow mount electric? Then you have motor you can put to good use and in a pinch it could get you to a safe location.

BTW I used to fish out of a 3.9m stacer with an older 25 hp 2 stroke. That little combo used as much fuel as my 5.2m plate boat with a 100 hp yamaha. If you are getting less than 3km per litre an upgrade (doesn't have to be new, there are plenty of people selling outboards with 300 hours on them) might help save some money at the bowser too.
Pretty amazing difference in fuel use.

User avatar
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:29 pm
Location: Acacia hills

Re: 8hp Auxiliary on 4.5m tinny

Post by Scottie5.3 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:26 am

30kgs is frig all. Your two, two strokes would come close to one four stroke. Maybe a bit more. If the pod is built properly it shouldnt be a issue. The boat will be rated for a max hp and a certain weight. Then its a matter of offsetting weight. Same as if you have a side console in my opinion.
Could easily be done both ways in my opinion.
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne

Post Reply

Return to “Boating & Driving Tips”