New boat set up help

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
Makrel
Gold Member
Gold Member

New boat set up help

Post by Makrel »

I am looking at setting up my boat for some billfish action and figure I need some outriggers.

Anyone know where I can purchase these?

I would be looking to gunnel mount them. Boat is a 7m cat. How long do they need to be? What brand do you guys recommend?

Anything else I need to know about these beasts?

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: New boat set up help

Post by jeffish »

Sure some of the Billie boys will come on an give you all the good brands and set ups
I like to chase them but couldn't justify the cost , so I just modified some old 17 ft beach
rods and mount them in clamp on rod holders . They work but still havn't got one to the boat
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Nogood »

Mate go on line escapin tackle you can get a set for about $400 we put them on a mates boat the ones we put on are 11 foot do the job great comes with all riggings the lot
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

On a 7 m Cat I would go 14ft in Carbon fibre if you can afford it. They are far superior to fibreglass causing less stress on the boat and far easier to handle due to weighing bugger all. Welcome to come over and have a look at the way they need to be set up and happy to talk rigging, techniques and tactics for Billies with you.
Cheers,
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by trevor schultz »

I run reelax 15 footers and reelax t top bases plenty of adjustment for the calm to rough days. Like everything you get what you pay for the stiffer the poles the better don't want any flex.
Makrel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Makrel »

Thanks Guys - and John I would like to see your set up and talk some bill fish basics.

I will PM you.

Cheers
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

14ft minimum and if you have the space, go 1 piece, I have telescopic ones and they drive me up the wall. Reelax mounts are great too.
http://www.escapin.com.au/shop/index.ph ... ts_id=1942
These look good for telescopic ones.
http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php? ... vendorid=2
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
Makrel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Makrel »

Ended up purchasing the telescopic Carbon Fibre models from Reeltackle. Along with their fancy gunnel mounts.

Thanks for the input.
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

awesome mate if you have any drama's setting them up drop a message on here and i can see if i can help. if you find they flex too much under the weight of whatever you're pulling (probably not a big deal up here) a quick fix is to tie a bit of rope 2-3m up the rigger and tie it back towards the front of the cabin to take that bounce out but if you're only pulling baits or small pushers on small elastic bands then it won't be too bad. did they come with line returns? they are another good feature when rigged on some drop back lines to take that slack line out when a fish hits if pushing lures.
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.