Daly River access

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Daly River access

Post by dirtyruiz »

Who are the best people to contact in relation to the Daly and finding out when boats will be able to launch from the crossing? As far as I can tell the road is closed from the community down to the Crossing and Woolianna rd is closed.

There's nothing on the official road closures website. http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/o ... s-atoz.jsp

It's been said on the forum that it will be a number of weeks before any boats are allowed to launch, is this the case?

I expect the Daly river police would be able to tell me however I have held off calling them as they probably have enough to do at the the moment without feilding phone calls from fishos.

Any help's appreciated.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Daly River access

Post by nomad »

the road closure details are as you said on http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/o ... osures.jsp

this happens every year where things seem normal but they dont open the wooliana rd to the ramp for ages due to flood damage. surely we should be permitted to launch off the road at the crossing but no.
even when they do open the W rd, they still keep the ramp closed for ages.

the bridge to nowhere should have had a ramp built adjacent to it when they had the chance.
im not sure the police would be that busy right now? who knows. maybe a call to their bosses will get a result.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

It's political down there with shires not wanting to spend "their" money fixing roads and opening ramps..

Mean while accommodation business's suffer and we miss out on an opportunity to go fishing,council's down that area need to get a grip suck it up and be accommodating.

Years gone by you could go anywhere do anything at your own discretion but not now we have unfortunately become the "Nanny Territory".
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

It's a bit of a joke that there isn't a ramp facility similar to the south alligator, accessible straight off the bitumen. It's the premier Barra fishing river in the territory.
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

This is a great read and I always enjoy it.....so I'll add my 2 cents worth, for what its worth.

Do you really think the locals want to be inundated with 100 trailers and boats hell bent on catching barramundi, before high tailing it out? I mean, of course they need to get the roads fixed and all that blah blah blah stuff. It happens nearly every year the Daly gets a good flood.
I use the mango farmer analogy........Of course when the fruit ripens and its perfect for the picking you want pick off all the best and biggest ones first......because once that scent spreads, all the bats get a smell and set in. Then, pretty soon your tree is overcome and the pickings become slimmer and slimmer and slimmer.

There are a few non locals getting in, "helping out" with the clean up. =)

My suggestion is just be patient, the scent of the fruit will soon be too strong to try and disguise, then the bats will get their fill of mangoes.

Richie
Mad KEEN!
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

LMFAO Richieboy That's one way to put it
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I suppose the local councils only have a set budget to fix roads and don’t want to have to blow the lot on all us blow-ins smashing it up.
On the other hand, that’s what we pay rego fees and other taxes for all of us to use ALL the roads
I still think its amazing that they spent all that $$ on the bridge to nowhere and didn’t do a suitable all weather ramp. Someone must have made a motza building it

there is still time to run a nice strip of concrete from the road down to a level that would allow access past the sandbars while the river level is up.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

they must have been reading the forum
https://www.facebook.com/secureNT/?fref=nf
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

They'd be busy patching the place up for the people who live there I guess. Surely the businesses along the river could group together to put a bit more pressure on council to sort the roads and get a few weeks extra business each year?
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler »

The Vic/Daly council do not own or maintain the roads.

The roads are the responsibility of the NT Government.

The government agencies are the Dept. of Transport and Dept. of Infrastructure.

The old low level crossing is no longer an official road and will not be repaired or maintained.
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jpb15 »

I went down Saturday, and come back Sunday.
There is a Ace Road Controller maning the entrance to Woolianna Road.
I went to Roads and Infrastructure, to get an access permit for the Vehicle.
Not much trouble.
There is sheets of Bitumen that have been pushed into piles by the Floods, crossing the Road.
Some of it is folded over itself a few times, and is possibly 200 - 300 mm, to go over, if you decide to drive over it.
Most of the Road surface, is OK. Even where the Bitumen has been lifted.
The Gate to the Boatramp was closed Yesterday, by a Ranger I think, but it was not Padlocked.
I did not go any further than Bamboo Creek, so I don't know what the Road is like down further, but you can get to the Boat Ramp.

If anybody is looking for a fish, and can get access, I know Lee and Jenny,s Bush Camp is open, just a little bit rough (because of the flooding), but they are accepting people.
Sick of coming home Fishless
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jpb15 »

By the way Richieboy, I did not see, or here one Boat, all the time I was there.
Sick of coming home Fishless