Perscription spotters question

balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Perscription spotters question

Post by balou »

Thinking of getting some perscription spotters as the current generic perscription ones are really average on the water.

Anyone have perscription spotters, what lense type are you using and are they worth the money. Mate reckon he paid 800-900.

I had and like the blue spotter lense before I had to wear glasses .

Cheers

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Perscription spotters question

Post by jabsy »

I've always bought Raybans and had the lens replaced with script polaroids, however this time last year I had to replace my specs. I went to the optical superstore at Cas and shelled out maybe $600 odd for a pair of new everyday specs with transitions lenses with the autotint, and they sold me a pair of Dirty Dogs with prescription polaroids (not transitions/bifocals tho) for another $150 on top. Bargain.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I have prescription spotters but not sure what kind of lense is in them. I paid $100 but that was after my private health rebate. I think they were around $400 if I didnt have the health fund. From Oasis shopping centre accross from Betta Electrical.

I love 'em
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Lats wrote:I have prescription spotters but not sure what kind of lense is in them. I paid $100 but that was after my private health rebate. I think they were around $400 if I didnt have the health fund. From Oasis shopping centre accross from Betta Electrical.

I love 'em
Hey Lats, did you get the proper spotters lens or just the polarise perscription one. I have private health so 100 sound great.my mate must been ripped off paying that much.
jabsy wrote:I've always bought Raybans and had the lens replaced with script polaroids, however this time last year I had to replace my specs. I went to the optical superstore at Cas and shelled out maybe $600 odd for a pair of new everyday specs with transitions lenses with the autotint, and they sold me a pair of Dirty Dogs with prescription polaroids (not transitions/bifocals tho) for another $150 on top. Bargain.

I have the same with the Oakley but found the polarised script ok but not the best. My mates with normal spotters could see a lot more detail ie rocks,Barra in the shallows etc.
Last edited by balou on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

If you have health insurance that covers glasses go to the optical super store and get some made up for you with polarized lens's at a fraction of the cost
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

balou wrote:
Lats wrote:I have prescription spotters but not sure what kind of lense is in them. I paid $100 but that was after my private health rebate. I think they were around $400 if I didnt have the health fund. From Oasis shopping centre accross from Betta Electrical.

I love 'em
Hey Lats, did you get the proper spotters lens or just the polarise perscription one. I have private health so 100 sound great.my mate must been ripped off paying that much.
jabsy wrote:I've always bought Raybans and had the lens replaced with script polaroids, however this time last year I had to replace my specs. I went to the optical superstore at Cas and shelled out maybe $600 odd for a pair of new everyday specs with transitions lenses with the autotint, and they sold me a pair of Dirty Dogs with prescription polaroids (not transitions/bifocals tho) for another $150 on top. Bargain.

I have the same with the Oakley but found the polarised script ok but not the best. My mates with normal spotters could see a lot more detail ie rocks,Barra in the shallows etc.
Mine are also polarized. Have no idea if they are a proper spotters lense or not. It was nearly 2 years ago. I'm well overdue for another eye test and new ones actually
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Mine are also polarised, I can see everything underwater. I couldn't compare with another pair as I've been wearing specs for 30 years, however my everyday glasses with auto-tint aren't polarised, so you can definitely tell the difference.....

My price above was without any health care rebates, as I dont have it.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

I have the Spec Savers two for one sunnies........bifocals, polarised, plastic frames and they float........I think with my private health I paid about 60 bucks for them.......
They are great!
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

The main thing about spotters is the lenses themselves. If you get a prescription pair, they remove the lenses and replace them with new ones ground to your requirements BUT they wont be spotters anymore but a set of prescription lenses (glass etc) fitted into the spotters frame.
Glasses with big curves (wrap around) have very limited ability for the script to take up the whole depth of the glass.
Just get a good frame and they will fit the script lenses into them
Most glasses places will have a ‘special sale’ on at some time or other– usually always :D
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

I only need specs for reading, tying knots, seeing wots on the sounder, removing hooks from deckies, seeing how much water is in the separation filter, .......

For those using 'transition/progressive' or bifocal sunnies, is it a PITA looking up & down all the time?? Is there any eye strain involved in this?
freddymuluka
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by freddymuluka »

This is probably a biased opinion as I've owned a few pairs of Spotters and love their lenses :lolpoint:

I bought a pair of Spotters from F&OW a few years back, got them to send the frames straight to Spotters to fit a prescription glass lens. Best pair of sunnies I've had and well worth the $500-$600 (frame and lens) even without the rebate I got back on health insurance.

I got the Penetrator lens. Fantastic at deflecting bright glare and also amazing at lightening your vision in low light conditions
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

Gday Mate,
I have a pair of Spotters provided by Optical Superstore and out of pocket $137.00. This will be the second pair I have purchased and I Love them.
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

PS Im with Bupa by they way.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Cheers for the feedback...

A lot of people just buy the frame ( ray ban, Oakley , spotters etc) and then put on polarised prescription lens. Regardless of the brand the aftermarket polarise lense will never come close to the original polarise.

As fredmulluka said I belive the spotters factory to can do the proper prescription spotters lense but it really expense.