King Ash Bay

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Nika
Seadog
Seadog

King Ash Bay

Post by Nika »

We just got home from there, spent 10 days on the Pelew house boat, fishing was real slow until the last 4 days. No monsters boated, dropped 2 on live bait while trying to get some southerners onto a fish, gumbys. Biggest went 75 for the trip, there were 3 boats and 10 guys fishing. Most were caught bottom bouncing rubbers across a secret creek that has a chanel which feeds it from the sea and mud flats either side. When the boys email me all the pics I will post. Awesome trip none the less.

Nick
4WD, boats, beer, is there a theme here?
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: King Ash Bay

Post by jeffish »

Pics Yeah :mrgreen:

Lucky bugger Nika heard it's a great area .
And some slick living on a house boat ,, Cool.
Naive Nomads
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Naive Nomads »

The Pellew Explorer is a big boat isn't it. I can see it from my house window where I am sitting right now. :D

Anyway. Sounds like you had fun. We are expecting a few storms over the next few days, so you timed your trip well.

Cheers

Mikey
Living the dream.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Hey mikey are you a local out there? I'm trying plan trip next year for 3 weeks in July. Want to head out to Barranyi for a week, but not sure if I'm likley to get a break in the weather that time of a year.
Got a 559 stabicraft so don't need a glass off, but not sure if I would be better to organise it for later in the year
Naive Nomads
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Naive Nomads »

G'day Mick

Yes I live at King Ash Bay. You would be the unluckyiest bloke in the world if you got any rain or storms in July. Wind on the other hand is the only issue that time of year. You will get windy days and you will get not windy days. There is usually always somewhere you can go to get out of the wind though. You can use the islands as wind-breaks depending on which direction it is coming from.

Since you're planning to stay 3 weeks, then you should get 3 or 4 days that will by just perfect.

Barranyi (Or simply North Island as we call it here) gives you great access to some pretty awesome spots. Particularly in a Stabicraft.

There are 2 options on North Island for accommodation. Camping at Paradice Bay (yes Paradice is spelled correctly). And then there is Wiyibi Fishing & Wilderness Lodge. I've stayed there a couple of times and it is a magnificent spot. They have dorm style rooms with bunk beds, flushing toilets, running water and a full kitchen. Plus big fridges and freezers. Staying at Wiyibi would depend on your budget I suppose. But it would take the hassle and stress out of everything else so you can focus on your fishing. They have a Facebook page. Speak to Brett. He is a bit of a character who runs the show there.

In July you wont have any insect problems.

If you wanted to catch Barra, then it's the wrong time of year. But you also wouldn't be staying on North Island for Barra fishing. North Island gives you access to more rock and reef style fishing. Plus trolling grounds for the palegics.

Being in July, it's also a great time to be around King Ash Bay Fishing Club. 1st of July is Territory Day, which is one of our biggest days of the year. There will be live entertainment, fireworks and plenty of fun. I've been told next year it will be a cowboys and indians theme (this year was a pirate theme. Most people got dressed up and it was a hell of a laugh.)

Also it's state of origin time of year. The bar at King Ash Bay has two plasma screen TVs that show the games, and they usually have happy hour drink prices until the first try is scored.

Depending on which way you are traveling on, Cape Crawford also has nightly entertainment at that time of year. It's an expensive place but I love it there. They keep the grass green, the pool is cold, but not as cold as the beer.

Anyway I think I'm getting a little off topic. I hope this helps. See you in July.
Living the dream.