South alligator

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Roper
Silver Member
Silver Member

South alligator

Post by Roper »

G'day all,
Just putting it out there, I'm keen to a trip to the mouth of South this build up, I've only done it once in the runoff and didn't hsve to worry about tides to launch/retrieve and negotiate river. Just wondering if anyone has done it in the build up and wants to share there experience was thinking neap tides would be the go but not sure on launching navigating etc, am keen to try for both barra and Jew etc. thanks in advance for any info and if anyone else is keen to team up for a trip let me know
Cheers

fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: South alligator

Post by fishfanatic »

Hey Roper,
Have done the South Ally trip more than once...used to an annual pilgrimage..one that I would like to restart.
The SA is not too bad a river..certainly most people are way too scared of travelling on it as to why I am uncertain :mrgreen: I used to work out my tides, get to the ramp around an hour early and watch the tidal movement. When you observe the tide slowing down but still pushing up is a good time to depart. On your way down don't travel flat out, I used to do comfortable 35-40 ks an hour. Stay in the deeper channel (as to where this will be changes year to year). Keep an eye on your sounder and and might have to wait watch for ripply water ahead indicating shallows. Don't try to cut the corners to save fuel as some do (then they wonder they run aground). If you have Polarised lenses on you may have a slight advantage.

The good news :clap: about the SA downstream of the ramp..it's all sandbars/mudbars no rock bars that I know off. The worst thing that can happen is you run aground and have to wait for ten minutes to get off. That's why you don't travel fast or long distances downstream on low or dropping tides. Get stuck then and you might have to wait many hours to get off the sandbar.
The method I suggested is not perfect, some people prefer to travel on a dropping but high tide, this is OK but if you should get stuck you may run out of time and tide....
Hope this helps....
Paul
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: South alligator

Post by trevor schultz »

Last week I fished it for 5 days wouldn't be rushing to go back went to the mouth on neaps no worries.