Generators ?????

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Generators ?????

Post by fff1964 »

Looking for cheap little genie for camping.

Run fridge and fan..........prob under 1KVA

Any one had got any info on the cheap ebay ones?

as will get wet and dusty dont want to smash a good one up.

Cheers

hobbit
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Generators ?????

Post by hobbit »

Look on ebay my dad got a 4000kva has remote start and we used it flat out this year hasn't missed a beat and I think it was only $600 they do have smaller ones.
hobbit03
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Cool heaps on there mate do you know what brand?

Cheers
hobbit
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbit »

I will find out. I know it's red that's all
hobbit03
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I've had a Honda 2kva for years, no problem bashing it around, and outputs clean power that will run a PC safely, so the blurb went. Doesn't like sitting long periods but most engines don't, old fuel clogs jets.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Matt makes a good point about "clean power" , the cheap genies will run small fridges and
fans , But look at the inverter type with sine wave they deliver a constant power supply and
don't stuff up sensitive equipment . Most modern fridges are inverter as well and don't like dirty
power.
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Roger that.though the cheapies do claim its clean...............but how clean ha ha ha

Thanks Guy's
simmo60
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by simmo60 »

I can understand the want for a Gennie for financial reasons but have you thought about solar. I have 2 60 watt panels to a dc-dc Ctec 250s Dual charger to a deep cycle battery with a 600 w inverter for 240 if needed. I have used it continuously for a week and never had any need for other power, although I do also carry a small generator just in case. If you use LED lighting and be mindful of opening your fridge/freezer it should be all that you require. No more added expenses - fuel, oil, services etc and no peein the neighbours off. Peace - perfect peace. Just a suggestion.
I Wish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by I Wish »

What is your budget?

I have an almost new Yamaha 1Kva sitting around doing nothing.
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

PM sent I WISH

:cheers:
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jpb15 »

I have bought 3 of them, off e bay.
I have one of them, that has never been used. probably about 4 years old.
The second one, was for friends, that wanted one for emergencies, Cyclones etc. They have used it during Blackouts, but not very often.
The 3rd, I bought first.
3 KVA, Electric Start, Rear Rolling Wheels, little Handle, to pull it around.
I have not used it very much, but the Gen Set itself, is quite good.
Not Very Loud.
But, they are cheap.
The One I Have used,
the Wheels are cr.p
Whenever you go to use it, the Battery is Flat, so I have removed the Battery, and just hook it up to the Car Battery. (I made up a Lead, and it works well) A hell of a lot better than trying to pull start it.
The pull handle has broken
The last time I went to use it, the Priming Plunger, had perished, and while trying to start it, it was pissing fuel out.
We ended up getting it started, by disconnecting the hose, to the Primer Plunger, and Blocking the hose.
I have not been able to get a replacement part, as the dealer has closed, and because it was Chinese made, I don't know where else I can try.
I have just replaced my Lawn Mower, that has a similar Primer, and so I am going to try and fix it, with that.

But, the story is, they are cheap.
I think they were all around $ 300.00
I bought a 1KVA Yamaha, about 28 Years ago, and we flogged it.
Never had any problems with it, until the end, and even then, they probably weren't that serious.
My personal opinion is, 1 KVA is to small.
Once you have power, you soon figure out ways to use it. Then you end up unplugging one item, to use another.

In regards to buying a Gen Set off the Internet, it depends on -
How much you plan to use it.
How important a Guarantee is.
Basically you can buy 2 or 3 over the Internet, and replace them if necessary, for the same price, as a Honda, or Yamaha.
Definatly buy one with Sine Wave
And Key Start is great, just be prepared for a flat battery, although if you use it regularly, it should stay charged.
I would buy another one from the Internet, but now days, I treat everything, like it is a throw away item.

Use it as I like, how I like, when I like, until it breaks, and then go out and buy another one.
If it has taken a beating, and can handle it, I will buy the same again, if it does not last long enough, I buy something stronger, or better.

Hope this helps.
Sick of coming home Fishless
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Graet mate thanks for the insight

Cheers
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

Matt Flynn wrote:I've had a Honda 2kva for years, no problem bashing it around, and outputs clean power that will run a PC safely, so the blurb went. Doesn't like sitting long periods but most engines don't, old fuel clogs jets.
Hay Matt if you use premium unleaded fuel it doesn't have the cr.p in it that std unleaded does, and wont block your jets.

Return to “Camping & 4WD”