Slow day at Hardies

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Slow day at Hardies

Post by NT Wombat »

Did my first trip to Hardies Saturday. Got on the water about 9am. Water temp was 23 and a bit. Plan was to chuck weedless plastics right up in the shallows as they warmed throughout the day. Fishing was nearly non existant till after lunch with one longtom with his teeth tangled in a small scumfrog skirt to show for the first 3 hours then nailed 2 Saratoga out of the thick stuff on weedless plastics followed by 2 Powertail trolling a little lucifer on a bit of a ledge on a bend a fair way down the billabong. A few other boats out there didn't seem like anyone else was doing any better.

2 brothers fishing
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Slow day at Hardies

Post by 2 brothers fishing »

e and my brothers were out there the green boat and the black bout hobbit got a 51cm ans we only managed 2 rats 2 toga and 2 cattys did loose a nice fish in the snags tho
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

I fished Sunday, managed one little Barra 53cm and found a bunch of fish stacked up on the sounder in 20ft of water but couldn't get them to bite....tried everything from trolling deep divers through to bouncing soft plastics on their heads for zip!....I would of killed for a few vibes
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

I was the lonley looking fella in the white twin hull - good to know I wasn't alone in having a slow day. Seen the AFANT bus in the carpark - should have sung out Tristian got a box full of soft vibes in the boat!
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Just my luck!.....nice looking rig you have NT Wombat, I plan on spending a bit of time out at hardies and Corroboree so I'll pop over and say next time I see you out there
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Cheers Tristan - i'm planning on hitting Hardies/Corroboree every 3 weeks or so till the wet so might catch you out there.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Where are the photos of that rig in action...???
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Too busy fishing to take photos:) put a hundred hours on that motor so far
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

NT Wombat wrote:Too busy fishing to take photos:) put a hundred hours on that motor so far

Nice one..!
Running like a dream too i bet..?!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
Walkabout
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Walkabout »

NT Wombat the only way to catch those hardies barra is to put the time in and work them out. I wouldn't waste my time at corroboree never seen a good fish come out of that joint. My tip is if your going to fish the place start early 6-10am after that wasting your time. If you do want to fish through the day sit in the shade of the pandanas trees and flick the same spot. Sounds silly but sooner or later the fish will turn on, don't know if its from the noise of the lures or just moving through but that use to work. Otherwise late arvo from 5pm into the night. As for lures don't bother using little Lucifers. I have never ever had a good session on those in any billabong even through untouched Arnhem Land water ways. Stick with lures the size of 120 classics or bigger. 20 years I have been fishing the place and the average use to be 80cm+ barra. Never really would have crazy sessions but could usually bank on my bag limit of fish over 80 and they are cleaner fish due to the sand from the Mary Billabong. I caught and released a 99cm 15 years ago so he should be around 1.6m by now good luck!
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Yep Hemi hasn't missed a beat. Cheers for the tips walkabout. Over the last few years we have managed a swag of fish up to about 90cm from Corroboree. Full moon nights, slow trolling big shallow divers up the middle. Concentrate on areas with Mullet schools on the sufrace. Generally dont catch heaps maybe 1 or 2 a night but real good average size with most fish around 80cm. Guna try the same thing at Hardies now i've done a daytime run. Agree re:little lucifers and little lures in general, i ususlly use B52's and big B52's for trolling and 7" weedless plastics for flicking
schubz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by schubz »

Ive caught seven barra in hardies over two weekends in the last month, camping overnight with the family. Almost all our fish have been caught on little b52's or spearheads. have caught numerous under sized fish but have also puled out a few nice fish at 77 and 68 cm, might have to have a go with some larger lures and see how it goes...
we also went out one evening until after dark. watch out for the crocs, some were very curious.... :D
ajbear
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ajbear »

They are in there!!!! Fished hardies a lot before moving down south, poop I miss barra........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just remember if all else fails "try like F##K" !!!!!!!
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Nice.

[poop I miss barra.........]

I'm hearing you