Do the 70-100cm Daly fish bite at night?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Do the 'missing' 70-100cm Daly fish bite at night?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 20

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Do the 70-100cm Daly fish bite at night?

Post by Matt Flynn »

Not many 70cm to 100cm barra were caught during the two big Daly comps, but it has been suggested these 'missing' medium-sized fish are biting in the Daly at night.

The suggestion being they have slightly different habits from small and large barra.

True, or bulldust?

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Do the 70-100cm Daly fish bite at night?

Post by Matt Flynn »

Starting to look like bulldust :lol:
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Bwahaha. Sorry Matt, but you are so media. 4 votes and your calling it. :)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

No, I was calling it on the lack of votes, a statement in itself?
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

The fish bite when the planets align. The river is full of fish as are most. Its all about when, how and where. Those in the know always catch fish there weather it be day, night or other wise. Some nights it fires, some nights it doesn't. It's more about finding the areas the fish are holding in, in the first place and concentrating effort on that area. Ie in the Nats the fish were on the main rock bar and in the classic they were at Alligator head. Only 2 weeks difference. No point fishing the S bends when the fish are not there. Some people get stuck on the usual spots when there is a whole river of potential. It usually takes me a day to work the river out then the 2nd day you devise a plan to be in the right spots at the right time. Rarely do you work it out in just 1 day of fishing.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

cuddlescooper wrote:The fish bite when the planets align. The river is full of fish as are most. Its all about when, how and where. Those in the know always catch fish there weather it be day, night or other wise. Some nights it fires, some nights it doesn't. It's more about finding the areas the fish are holding in, in the first place and concentrating effort on that area. Ie in the Nats the fish were on the main rock bar and in the classic they were at Alligator head. Only 2 weeks difference. No point fishing the S bends when the fish are not there. Some people get stuck on the usual spots when there is a whole river of potential. It usually takes me a day to work the river out then the 2nd day you devise a plan to be in the right spots at the right time. Rarely do you work it out in just 1 day of fishing.
I just fished it and it wasn't until the 3rd day I was finding the fish. Landing them, well that's a different matter
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Some good comments but the thread is about the 'missing' 70-100cm fish.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Of the 3 fish i saw get caught, one was 75cm and another was about 80cm
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

those fish can't bite....
want to know why...??...
I can't believe people can't see this for what it is...
Those Fish are in the Freezers of the Netters in Anson Bay...
to me its blatantly obvious... ha ha ha... how come all the thousands of fish that have been tagged in these comps never get returned..??.. surely you would think that they wiuld eventually end up in a net... really the commercial netter should really report the captures.. but how detrimental would it be to their own existence... ??,, i think substantially...
that size range is the exact size range they are after... hence they take that size range out of the system... is everyone really that ignorant to this... ??,,,
its a total Joke... IMHO i think that the Bag limit in the Daly Area was reduced because the commercial sector was suffering so the decision was made to reduce Amateur bag limits to allow more fish in that size range to be available for commercial harvest... N T really needs to tear themselves away from this unsustainable method of fishing and start to appreciate the value of the recreational dollar... totally disgraceful the way the administration condone these criminals and allow them to continue to destroy our fisheries... PLEASE START THINKING OF TOMORROW..
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Food for thought.

Well put.

Cheers
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Ya, gill nets on fire down that way, looks like someone got their net stuck at night while doing the wrong thing.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

back-cast wrote:those fish can't bite....
want to know why...??...
I can't believe people can't see this for what it is...
Those Fish are in the Freezers of the Netters in Anson Bay...
to me its blatantly obvious... ha ha ha... how come all the thousands of fish that have been tagged in these comps never get returned..??.. surely you would think that they wiuld eventually end up in a net... really the commercial netter should really report the captures.. but how detrimental would it be to their own existence... ??,, i think substantially...
that size range is the exact size range they are after... hence they take that size range out of the system... is everyone really that ignorant to this... ??,,,
its a total Joke... IMHO i think that the Bag limit in the Daly Area was reduced because the commercial sector was suffering so the decision was made to reduce Amateur bag limits to allow more fish in that size range to be available for commercial harvest... N T really needs to tear themselves away from this unsustainable method of fishing and start to appreciate the value of the recreational dollar... totally disgraceful the way the administration condone these criminals and allow them to continue to destroy our fisheries... PLEASE START THINKING OF TOMORROW..
:clap: Too true and what's with the bag and size limit for Threadfin Salmon? We can only keep 3 with one over 90cm so the whole school of thousands can swim around the corner and straight into a commercial net. Absolute BS!

And I know for certain that they hit the Little Finniss in the dead of night on the tide they know all the barra move in/out. They're in and out in a couple of hours, string the nets across the mouth and take the lot of em. Police can't do anything. Hasn't fished well for a few years because of these criminals.
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

police can't do anything... or won't....???...
i think the organised crime syndicates need to be investigated ...
oh sorry i meant to say the commercial fishermen... same same...
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Yes, and its a couple of grubs that do it time and time again.

It's a joke they can legally do it. They should be made to process in open netting areas and not in a closed-to-netting system. This will make it a bit harder to sneak out and string nets. They can stay in the system in bad weather but can't process fish. It will take that excuse away from them.
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Little Finniss were brilliant places to fish. You always caught fish there regularly without any trouble at all. I havent done well in either systems for around 4 years now, what you said is write, Ive said it before if the police new a bank was going to be robbed at a certain time at night they would be there to catch the crims, why isnt anything done about the robbery of these 2 rivers?? And I bet there are many other rivers being robbed at night, people KNOW they are yet nothing is being done.