Anchoring boats

BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Anchoring boats

Post by BEAR »

Fella's, when anchoring a boat close to shore I heard it's important to use two anchors so the bow faces towards the ocean especially larger boats mainly when camping on shore. anyone with experience with mooring thier boats just off shore at remote beaches etc could descibe in detail how they go about it.
( the tinny was dragged up the beach and back down so never had this problem)

BEAR

resindog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by resindog »

I've always thought doing this was cr.p (nothing worse then then taking water over the back or side when you are asleep or p...ed) :eek:

Personally IMO I like to let the boat swing (as long as room permits) with what ever conditions are determining, this in most cases allows the bow to always face ( and ride) into the tide/swell/chop. :surf:

I also like to go overkill on the weight and length of anchor chain on the sand or plough anchor and automatic bilge pumps. :mrgreen:
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

interesting subject, especially when I just had the BarraBeast stuck on the sand at dawn 2 months ago. Peeped out the tent and went 'Oh poop!!'

so with head pounding louder than a RatSalad Concert I began huffing and puffing to get the nose around enough to push from the back. :banghead:

then Fishhead(also hungover) came to the rescue and we just, and I mean just got it in, even though it was sitting on the tide line.

Fishheads 5.7 was higher than a groupie at a RatSalad concert, so after 2 heaves it was obvious it wasn't going anywhere.

Then Beast came to the rescue, towed it off that beach with my 70 horse red lining!!!(you go seriously sideways when doing that, so keep it in mind)

Fishheads jaw dropped and we celebrated with 2 panadols each!!! 8-)
Last edited by BarraBeast on Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

sorry forgot about the anchoring stuff. forget stern lines unless you are parked near rocks, but a rope connected to the boat could be handy to swing it around enough to grab the transom if it's parallel to the beach. How about designing a clip that releases the rest of your anchor line with a tug from a shore line!!! Then you could pull it in. :idea:

spring tides would be harder to manage but on neaps I guesstimate where it will be the next day after the tide had changed. Last weekend I had to use my lilo and paddle out to my boat at dawn. My Mum saw a croc the day before so I wasn't taking any chances. I've always wanted to get a small toy blow up boat, leave the boat out in deep water so I don't have to stress. But on neaps things are generally ok. If it's windy and springs, I use a little bicycle LED light that flashes every 3 seconds, if you have a mate with you , it will make finding your boat in the dark easier if it drifts off. ie check your anchor shackles every trip.

Fishhead, over to you to explain how to dig a trench that would rival the Panama Canal to get a 5.7 plate boat floating again.!! :rofl:
Last edited by BarraBeast on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Travis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Travis »

G'day Bear,

I've only ever had to leave the boat moored with the bow out on a couple of extended trips where we were camped on a beach during the dry with absolutley no shelter whatsoever. 1st trip we just simply dropped the main reef anchor on some rocks that was just offshore from the beach and reversed in to the shore and then ran a sand anchor off the back onto the beach. On the 2nd trip we brought a 3rd anchor out which was hooked frimly on the rocks out front and left with a float. This was a heap easier than mucking around each night trying to get the front anchor hooked securely on what little rock there was just offshore from the camp. The boats still needed to be checked during the night but they fared much better bow out so the waves were not crashing over the back when the tides were at the stage that the boats were close to the water line.

Cheers,
Travis
Born to Fish!!!
Forced to Work.....
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

yeah anchoring over night is a great recipe for not much sleep while camping. i have seen some interesting set up in my time and i think different conditions, weather,tides,crocs etc all play big parts in your choice of anchors set up

1. the good old bow anchor out the front will work in most cases, but may have to swim to retrieve your boat
2. the bow and stern anchor set up is great in predictable weather, but on a camping trip to the keppel islands off QLD one year a storm came from nowhere in the middle of the night and turned a 10kn se to 50kn ne and rolled the boat like a huge skipping rope. completely destroying a 21ft hains hunter
3. a solid anchor attached to a float. this is the method i use on extended cobourg trips. get a good anchor hold and attach a good float in a water depth that will foat on all tides. then attach a big loop of rope that will reach the shore. have the rope running through a clip attached to the float. where you join the rope to make a loop attach another clip. this clip is attached to your boat. you can then simply pull you boat in and back out like a big pully system and tie it off where you want it to stay. takes abit to set up but works like a charm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Glenn »

Harmsey, THAT IS GOLD mate.
:bow:
I'll be going home to create that set up this after noon. I spent a night over at Mica beach not long ago and me poor tub got bashed senseless. I had to keep an eye on it on and iff all night. Change the set up and swim out to the boat when the tide came in etc. :banghead:

Cheers :cheers:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, Whopper in one hand, Beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!!!
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

Thats spot on Harmsey :mrgreen: I will try that one for sure :cool: I new someone here would have what I'm looking for :applause:

BEAR
Gold Can
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gold Can »

I have got a bungy cord setup that works a treat for me.
The way to a fishermans heart is through his fly!!
Fishhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fishhead »

thanks for bringing that up BB. coupla anchoring tips... 1. dont drink BB's Chilean wine! :banghead: 2. have a couple of german tourists handy to help dig the boat out should you happen to sleep in a bit... any tourists will do but these ones were really keen to go fishing. i was quite happy to go back to bed and call it a lay day! :sleep:
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

harmsey i have used the same set up in bynoe as unlike yourself I do not swim with crocs :rofl: :rofl:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

nice 2rods :applause: its not like i enjoy swimming with crocs :bonk: have you ever had any dramas with that anchor set up. i have had the rope tangle up and wouldnt pull in :banghead: usally works well but!
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

mate we have one end tied to the bow and one to the stern and the rope just going through the float. Only had trouble if you let the rope go to slack and it would rap around the outboard leg. :banghead:

on the land we had a starpicket with a d shackle for the rope to run through.

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Daisy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Daisy »

G'day gus

I like Harmseys set up and have used it myself to great effect but for added security I use whats called a self aligning, claw or Bruce anchor. Yes its sold under all these names with Bruce being the original design and most expensive but they all work the same. This design bites into anything with the 5 kg model plenty big enough for my 4.7 mt tinnie. I know I can rest easy with this pick on altho it can be a bit hard to retreive in rough ground
Happiness is having fishy fingers with a stiff rod in your hand!!!
The view expressed in this post is that of a self opinionated bullshitter and does not reflect that of the website owner, it's operators or anyone else for that matter.
Chronic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Chronic »

Great setup harmsey :applause:
I use the same thing virtually as i camp with the boat regularly...I use my 12 footer to get out to the bigger boat though...I use 100m of thick anchor rope with a large sand anchor on each end. I lay them fully apart then pull them a little closer from the floats in the middle to set the anchors. A large float is connected to the centre of the main line and 3m of rope is connected to that the with a smaller reflective float on the other end..
Boat is tied to the little float with the motor partly up all night and you tie the tinnie there while your fishing and pull it up the beach just past tide line with jockey wheels when you return. Takes ten minutes to setup and has never failed or moved as yet :angel:
I put the 12ftr upside down on the 14ftr to get it there, it weighs bugger all as does the 4horse that pushes it.

Peace of mind is needed for any sleep while your tub is vulnerable :wink:
(and the auto-bilge)

Go the live-baiters!

Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer...