Minn Kota Help

mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Minn Kota Help

Post by mac10 »

I'm after a bit of advice.....

My 80b Ipilot has suffered some damage when it flicked out of the locking position while traveling in rough seas. It has broken the sleeve that controls your steering. It has broken both the clamp on side that slides up the shaft, and the bit that is housed in the motor. It still works as it's not completely snapped off but I can't see it lasting too long or working in adverse conditions.

My dilemma is that Minn Kota don't want to sell parts. They claim that it's not just a matter of replacing the broken piece but all of the seals and bearings etc that go with it. So, I have been quoted $800 repair plus freight of about $200.

If I spend 1k on repairs, i've got a 3 year old ipilot that could have other issues with no warranty.

I can get a new motor guide for about $1900.

Shiiit situation but they've kind of got me by the hairys. What should I do?

Thanks for helping with my third world problem.

Chris
BarraBus

Re: Minn Kota Help

Post by BarraBus »

Hey there Seadog,

Not sure if this helps, but i purchased some parts for my Minn Kota Gen1 IPilot hand controller form this site a couple of years ago at a good price.
The Australian parts supplier would not sell me the part ($13 rubber key pad) said I had to upgrade to a new Gen2 controller.
The site has changed since I was last there but they still have full parts diagrams for all models and some. Worth a look at least you can see if there is a specific part number for the part you were after, if not you may have to purchase the a complete section to get it fixed, hope it helps.

http://www.fish307.com/

Cheers
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Theyre right in what they are saying ... Its a bigger job than it sounds/looks etc... Its dam bummer & unlucky thing to have happen mate.!

Does your insurance policy cover you in any way??? I have mine covered for damage & theft.

Failing that, i wouldnt spend the money on it, id cut my loses and buy a new one.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Got a photo of the damage?