Daly river help!!

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Daly river help!!

Post by blowski »

GDay guys,

Just spent three days trolling and flicking the daly for absolute zip! Could not belive it!!! I couldn't help but think we did something wrong? We trolled hares rockbar non stop with big shallow lures for zip, flicked all the snags and drains for not even a touch and trolled all around Elizabeth for zip!!!

Can anyone sling me some tips? Where a outs exactly are the s bends and how should they be fished I hear maybe if the fish are not biting to try here??? Thanks in advance guys!!! Hope the fishing was just poor and we where doing the right things

jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Daly river help!!

Post by jpb15 »

The River can be hard to fish, even for the experienced Fisher.
The "S" Bend basically starts just past No Fish Creek.
About 17 km down from the Boat Ramp.
Sick of coming home Fishless
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

There is another recent thread on here with some good Daly tips.

Get down to Tackle World Coolalinga and talk to Shane Compain. He has won the Barra Nats and consistently scores good fish, you can be sure his advice is worth hearing. Justin Jones of Obsession Fishing Safaris is another one who has done well in the Daly comps and doesn't mind sharing info.

In all the rivers, the turn of the tide often produces a burst of action and should be worked hard. Otherwise look for bait, the barra are often nearby.

The stretch from Hares to the creek mouth just upstream is a cracker area, you did well to concentrate some time there. No spot fires all the time.
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

Hi Matt,
Thanks for that!!! We spent the three days looking for the mullet and couldn't find any at all in schools hence why I thought we where doing something wrong, could not BELIVE we couldn't find A school of mullet anywhere from moon billabong to wooliana!
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

classic case of 'barratrauma'
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

I didnt move from diesel weekend before and done pretty good mate, try working one area over one day and trying to learn the area, works for me. Plus theres fish all through the river, Im not a fan of sitting with a crowd try a smaller creek with no one around normally like charlies creek and flick till you work out what they want
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

cheers scottie- im sure there is lots of fish but there is a f*kload of river hahahaha!
maybe we didnt change it up enough theres always next time!