Fishing along the Stuart Highway

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
hughligen

Fishing along the Stuart Highway

Post by hughligen »

Hi there everyone.

First post, good to meet you all. I've been lurking for a while and have found some great advice so thanks for that!
I'm driving to Katherine tomorrow then on to Gapuwiyak the day after. Was wondering if anyone can recommend any good spots to flick lures along the way to (or in/around) Katherine and Gapuwiyak.

I always respect fishing spots and mostly release fish I catch. Always very frustrating watching people take under and oversize fish, leaving rubbish around etc.

Thanks!
-Hugh

Robert Hope
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Fishing along the Stuart Highway

Post by Robert Hope »

Hey Huge as a heads up if you are driving the Central Arnhem Road to Gapuwiyak;
The NLC website says if you wish to undertake any of the following activities on Aboriginal land in the Northern Land Council region then you will need to apply to the Northern Land Council for a permit: http://www.nlc.org.au/articles/cat/freq ... questions/

Just bear in mind that if you go off the main road for any reason you will need a permit.

• Enter Aboriginal Land for any purpose
• Travel by road through Aboriginal Land (Note: this does not apply to public roads)
• Enter or visit an Aboriginal Community (Note: some exceptions apply)

Please note that permit requirements apply to all persons visiting Aboriginal communities for work or other purposes on a short- or long-term basis. This includes:

• Travellers, Tourists, Contractors, Journalists, Hawkers and Representatives of any group, company agency or government department not covered by statutory permit arrangement

Depending on your purpose, you will require a Work / Transit / Tourist, a Research, a Media or a Commercial Filming permit.
hughligen

Post by hughligen »

Thanks for the heads up Robert but I was already aware of that. The reason I'm travelling out that way is for some work that I'm doing is with some of the indigenous people in Gapuwiyak, Ramingining and Milingimbi so I've already got all the permissions sorted. I always make sure to consult the Traditional Owners to ask if it's ok to fish in certain areas and usually go fishing with the locals anyway.

But seriously thanks for your concern, it's important to respect the Traditional Owners and the indigenous people of those areas.
Robert Hope
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Fishing along the Stuart Highway

Post by Robert Hope »

I am surprised that the Central Arnhem road is open, its a bit dodgy before Bulman. The road from Jabiru to Gunbalanya is still closed. All of those rivers hold fish.
hughligen

Post by hughligen »

Yeah well I was supposed to head out there weeks ago but cyclone Lam really did a number up there. The roads we'll be taking are open now though.