Quintrex 445 hornet trophy help!!

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Quintrex 445 hornet trophy help!!

Post by dannett »

Basstad wrote:There is the possibility that your mates Yammy 50 is actually a 60....(50 with restrictor plate removed)..........I did it with mine and it does make a difference......that's a 17% hp increase.......better ask him if he cooked the books so to speak.
Horsepower does not come into the speed equation. The only thing that does is the pitch of the propeller and how fast it is turning. If you're getting 6500 rpm the engine has more power to give, essentially to do this your engine may only be needing to generate 45 hp of the 50 hp available achieve full engine rpm. So increasing engine horsepower will not yield any additional speed as your engine is all ready achieving maximum rpm and the ECU is limiting it from going any faster as it can not without causing damage to the engine.

What you need is to reduce prop slip or increase prop pitch as there is no issue with engine power / speed.

Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bottom Bashing Bloke »

dannett wrote:
Bottom Bashing Bloke wrote:Yeah well I can't move to much around because it's all under the floor in the storage areas, obviously quintrex put the storage areas in where they are for a reason. In the back is the battery, isolator, live well. Centre is the console, 2 seats and 50L esky. Front has 1 seat for casting, safety gear, tackle trays, tackle box of with spanners and spares with the anchor up front. Pretty basic really.
You may need it further back to get the nose out of the water, my point is try a few things and get a feel of how it changes the boats performance.
Bottom Bashing Bloke wrote:Maybe that 60hp ETEC is looking better and better each day haha
Well at the moment you're not getting the full potential out of the 50hp Honda so that's an expensive new prop!
The quintrex dealer who has been the leading dealer for 10 years or so said you need more weight forward to get it sitting flat on the water as that is how it's designed to plane.
They also stated that that's the best I'm likely to get out of it due to the extra weight of the 445 over the 435 being about 80kg
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Easy to test how a front mounted fuel tank might go. Run your tank down to the last 5 to 10 litres, Throw a 20 litre jerry can of fuel up on the casting deck (take a funnel just in case you run out). Place the 50 litre esky on the casting deck and fill it with water. That will simulate a 70 litre forward mounted tank for you to do a test run without spending a dollar.