Rod & Reel outfits for NT trip - Nitro 007 travel series

DJ_m

Rod & Reel outfits for NT trip - Nitro 007 travel series

Post by DJ_m »

Hello All,
First post here.
Am planning a trip in March to the Arnhemland Barramundi Nature Lodge. Plan to spend 4 full days there, mostly Barra fishing but also a reef trip or two. Would like to put together a couple of outfits that will have some use post trip and in future years.
My local tackle store owner with whom I have a good relationship suggested some rods from the Nitro 007 range. I'm sceptical about a 5 piece rod but the only information I can find on them gives them a very good review and my tackle guy reckons they are the bomb and he's fished with many rods. He tells me he took the 5 piece Viper to FNG last year and it fished like a one piece. Certainly, having a couple of travel rods would potentially be useful for future years. Given luggage restrictions, light aircraft etc. they seem like a great idea....if they perform.

The two rods I am considering are;

007 Undertaker, 5'10", 5 pieces, 4-6kg line weight, 11-28gm cast weight - Baitcaster
AND
007 Viper 7', 5 pieces, 6-8kg line weight, 9-55gm cast weight, - Spin OR 007 Magnum Butt 7'6", 5 piece, 4-6 kg line weight, 9-40 gm cast weight - Spin.

1. Would these two rods cover a number of bases for this type of trip? The guides do provide all tackle so there will be something on hand to cover instances where something bigger may be needed.
2. Is the Baitcaster heavy enough?
3. Reel suggestions?
4. Anyone had hands on experience with either of these rods?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

DJM

STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Rod & Reel outfits for NT trip - Nitro 007 travel series

Post by STANDY »

I would go a Shimano T-curve T Series Tropical spin travel 1.83
Come in a nifty travel tube that's sturdy

Check it out
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

I have the 007 4-6kg undertaker and it does feel like a top quality one piece- it's a perfect all round barra rod that you would use every time you barra fished
DJ_m

Post by DJ_m »

seano wrote:I have the 007 4-6kg undertaker and it does feel like a top quality one piece- it's a perfect all round barra rod that you would use every time you barra fished

Thank you. Ordered one today and hope to give it a good work out in March. Can I ask what reel you have with your rod? Am thinking about a Curado I.
barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barratrooper1 »

Ive got one also, its bl..dy great! Travels everywhere with me and feels like a 1 pc when you fish it.
Good choice.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

DJ_m wrote:
seano wrote:I have the 007 4-6kg undertaker and it does feel like a top quality one piece- it's a perfect all round barra rod that you would use every time you barra fished

Thank you. Ordered one today and hope to give it a good work out in March. Can I ask what reel you have with your rod? Am thinking about a Curado I.
I own a Curado I and it's a nice reel and at a good price.

Cheers
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

Curados are ok but for casting and overall feel I cannot go passed my blinged up alphas R and Zillion R.

If budget is an issue then the curados are fine. Don't waste your money on a chronarch as they are just curados painted white anyway.

The new curados ci4 look good though.