Light Bar Thief

Buy, sell and giveaway. Private sales and FFF sponsors only.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Light Bar Thief

Post by nomad »

swamp_donkey89 wrote:Thanks all for your great ideas. Next one i put on there I will certainly make sure no crim can steal it!
They will just pinch your car

Hey BLW, are you still selling light bars? :twisted: :rofl: :rofl:

blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

nomad wrote:
swamp_donkey89 wrote:Thanks all for your great ideas. Next one i put on there I will certainly make sure no crim can steal it!
They will just pinch your car

Hey BLW, are you still selling light bars? :twisted: :rofl: :rofl:
Yer mate sold 28 so far.
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

I just had one fitted yesterday. Asked to have a spot weld on the nut/bolt. Instead, the lads simply bent the bolts once the light bar was installed. Visually it's very obvious that if you want to knock it off you'll need a hacksaw blade & a few hours, a grinder & power source or the ability to straighten the bolts to the point where the nuts car be removed.
I'm still not convinced somebody wont have a crack, though.
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

I can advise you all to get lock nuts or tac weld the bolt. We have seen around 100 light bars stolen in the passed 12-15 months. They seem to target areas at night and hit 5-10 cars in the same time period. A few months ago Nightcliff got hit and 4 were stolen in a night. Bayview had 13 that I know of taken in one night be it light bars or spotties.

We managed to track down a group of the theives and all were around the 15-17yr old mark. Parents were brought into it and one of the mothers flew their little poop bag to Brisbane to live with his father as she could not control him. He was also in line for a hell of a flogging. We said goodbye to him at the Airport and kindly told him if he returned to Darwin and continued on his path that a plane would not be his next ticket. He would be looking at the walls of an ambulance.

Alas that effort has not changed anything and more and more vehicles are being targeted.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Even if they are tack welded, you use lock nuts, bend the bolts, they can and will still get it off if they have enough time. Seriously I reckon I can get any of those ideas off with a hammer and cold chisel but I'm a mechanic too. I like hemis idea of the dash cam, that and a good alarm system with motion sensors, they won't hang around if they know they are caught on camera and there's a loud siren going off. Plus some system have a remote that will let you know if it's being tampered with inside a certain radius.

Best idea I have seen is recessed bolts, hole saw two small holes 16-20mm under where you want the light bar mounted on top of Bullbar and use two short bolts with locknuts. This actually means they can't get a cold chisel or vice grips on the nut, plus they will need to have a long socket to even get near the nuts. Just a idea.
And if your really paranoid, keep the hole saw cut offs, mount light bar and weld the cut off pieces back into bar, then it's sealed for good.
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Police contacted me this morning...
They used the footage from my dash camera and I.D'd the scumbag..!

They tracked him down yesterday and uncovered more stolen property.. Hes been charged with multiple offences. In relation to my car, He was charged with interfering with a private motor vehicle.
Dunno if much will really happen to him? But cops said they recovered some pretty important stolen gear.. So atleast people will get that back!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Pretty good outcome mate
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Little b@st@rds carry cordless grinders with cut off wafers these days so nothing is really safe
They want to get into your shed it's the cordless screw gun and undo a sheet
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Time the police were able to follow the fishermens lead and practice catch and release. Once they catch the bastards release them off the Adelaide River bridge.....
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

In another security related matter....

On my boat, which sits where it does with a full cover over it.. The only way to undo or get into it is through the zipper section.
Ive put two of those personal alarms which are cheap & easy from Jaycar...

Obvisously not the most secure system in the world but it works for what it is....
Definately makes a racket in the middle of the night and creates attention!!

Ive cable tied the alarm to the cover and the pull chain to the boat (all completely hidden) If you move my cover the two become seperated and off they go... Better than nothing?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

After loosing my 42" light bar I sprayed the new one with 3 color paints and gave it a touch with a grinder. If it is custom makes it hard to sell.
tight lines
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

Well I've got a dash can on the way and I'm going to spot weld the nuts and bend the bolts over ! So if they want to get it, and don't realise, there faces from the footage will be burnt into my mind so if I ever see they, some vigilante justice will be coming their way!
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

I forgot to mention same night my light bar was stolen, they walked to my front door stole 2 rods and reels plus my 55lt Eva cool esky! I didn't notice until 3 days later but I certainly wasn't impressed.
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

Apparently christmas decorations are on the target list at the moment!!! people are getting their stuff in the front yard ripped off, I walked out the other morning and someone had tried to steal out inflatable santa. WTF I would not normally care but it's all for the kids, they have been hanging out for the decorations and get a real kick out of them, it's not like they are expensive, is it really worth getting caught and getting a hiding over a blow up santa???? Because if I catch them................
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

George wrote:Apparently christmas decorations are on the target list at the moment!!! people are getting their stuff in the front yard ripped off, I walked out the other morning and someone had tried to steal out inflatable santa. WTF I would not normally care but it's all for the kids, they have been hanging out for the decorations and get a real kick out of them, it's not like they are expensive, is it really worth getting caught and getting a hiding over a blow up santa???? Because if I catch them................

Our neighbor had some xmas lights knicked 2 nights ago by the little sh.theads....
I might put some lights on my fence? Plug'em into 240v and expose a few wires, see I can light those little turds when they try it...?