Daly river gps

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Daly river gps

Post by blowski »

Hi guys need to get a gps to plot around the daly, what's the best one that will clearly show the river system so I can mark sandbars and rockbars, also do I need to get a card? If so what type..

Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Daly river gps

Post by Basstad »

You could get a whole deck of cards it won't help you............the sandbars south of clear change that often.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I went down there when the water was really low one year and marked every rock and tree branch/stump. Mainly so i could come back at night with some confidence. Didnt work
The biggest problem is the massive floating logs and other rubbish.
Even a hand help GPS will do what you want but remember that the river is mostly uncharted.

You might as well get a decent GPS plotter with a downscanner function - i use HDS7 touch Lowrance - see Michael at IOM
blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

Cheers nomad, do I need one of those cards? So that it gives the basic river outline?
cards
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by cards »

You will need a Navionics Card to slot in the GPS/Fish Finder.

They my provide one with the unit - If you source locally?
If you get one on the Net, make sure its Australia - North (Platinum is 60P)

http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Navi ... harts.html
Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist, while you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water - I drank it!

Yours sincerely, The Opportunist!
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

X 2 Michael at IOM. Best value in Darwin when it comes to Lowrance. They also have the Fish Finder card which has a dozen of the main obstacles marked, though in my experience these alert you to the hazard, some may be on the hazard others maight mark where it is safer to travel. No guarantees.

As for an outline. No. The Navionics card may have a basic one but in my experience they can be out by 100m. The platinum card has Google images for the lower reaches. If you're hell bent on having a map you can make your own using Lowrances IMC software to convert Google map images harvested from something like SAS Planet or you could trace an outline in Google Earth and convert that into a map. Your next option would be to log all your sonar files and convert these into contour maps using IMC and possibly another 3rd party program like Reef Master or Dr Depth. There is a fair bit of work involved in the later options.

Dan
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Get a Garmin and either load Shonky Maps or the Garmin Topo map onto it, you'll then see where on the river you are. No other maps will give you that info on the Daly. I have posted just about every rock bar, sandbar and other submerged obstruction I have found elsewhere on the forum, just do a search you'll find the post.
Also do your homework on which model you want as some aren't compatible with Shonky or Topo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

The Fish Finder card has most of the Daly rockbars on it, also the Adelaide River rockbars, and some other NT rivers. It is intended as a fishing product but will obviously provide assistance in avoiding some obstacles if you approach each mark with care and watch the current lines etc. Unmarked obstacles may exist, especially submerged trees. The card has no plotter map, the marks will plot over whichever map you use.

I also charted some of the Daly rockbars/fishing spots, the maps are in the FISH FINDER book.
freddymuluka
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by freddymuluka »

This mud map is handy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.