LG Plasma problem

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

LG Plasma problem

Post by scottmac »

Wasn't sure where to post this, but anyway..... Any electronics gurus out there? My TV poop itself last night. I have traced the problem to a fuse on the PSU card. The fuse is a 5A soldered into the card.
Can't see any other burnt out or damaged components on any of the cards.

Where can I source another fuse locally?
Do they blow for no reason occasionally, or is it likely there will be further problems down the line?
I have sourced a new PSU board on eBay for 80 bucks, should I just get that?

Also when I checked for voltage at the outlet it was 250v. Shouldn't be that high. (I'm a sparky). It was on a cheap meter I keep in my boat, so maybe not real accurate.
Is 250vac high enough to start damaging electronic components?

Cheers for any advice, Scotty.

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: LG Plasma problem

Post by jabsy »

Just about every telly I have fixed has been due to crappy capacitors on the PSU. What sort of nick are they in? Usually they will start to lift and/or leak, saves you the hassle of lifting a leg to test their capacitance... You can usually replace them all for under 10 bucks, but considering the labour involved it's probably easier to be lazy and buy the new PSU. You can then fix the old one at your leisure.

Jaycar should have your fuse locally, otherwise WES Components or Radio Parts interstate will have them. (they will also have your caps if you need)

250v coming in is unfortunately normal from the supply in Darwin, one of our UPS alarms fairly regularly that it hits 258v (and beyond). PAWA should get their cr.p together. Cheap power supplies dont like too much voltage as it will often go over their tolerances and lead to the problems you have above (as well as the combo of sh..ty chinese caps...)

Good luck.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Cheers mate, yeah the nominal power supply aus wide is now meant to be 400/230, dunno why they don't change the tap settings on the transformers. The caps look alright, but only looked at them last night, haven't had a closer inspection.
The only reason I'm worried about is buying the new PSU and the problem is on one of the other cards.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Try Simtronics, Marlow Rd, Berrimah.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog