Venom barra rod.

balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Venom barra rod.

Post by balou »

Its time for some retail therapy so I'm think of getting a new barra rod. I have been using at st croix rods for the last 3 years and before that loomis rods .i love my venom jig sticks so I leaning towards a venom bait caster . I think there 3 models available in the 4,6 and 8 kg.

Anyone using a venom bait caster ? Which size do you recommend ?

Budget is about 400-500 so if you want recommend any else I should look into.

Probably using type r zillion and do about 50/50 trawling and casting.

BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Venom barra rod.

Post by BarraMick »

i have the venom 8kg on a chronach ci4 and its the best heavy barra setup ive ever had.
yes they are costly but bl..dy good rods. light and strong with plenty of pull.
criags had a special going awhile ago on there floor stock. (thats when i got mine)
i mainly use mine with fizzers, in the billabongs / shady
and is perfect for this as well as trolling as the rods are reasonlably stiff.
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

Hi mate

I'm a big fan of the Venom range, I've got one in the baitcaster model. Love It! It is super light and the power it has is astounding. I've got a core on mine and is an incredibly light combo. I prefer to flick so it is perfect for flicking all day long. Can't go wrong in my mind.
My 2c

Cheers
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

I have one and they are a great rod. Although some things could be better on them such as the guides. For that price i would expect slightly better. Mine have started to get some slight rust marks on the bases of them. The rod overall always felt crappy after pairing mine with my Type R Zillion. I ended up talking with john Sykes about this and in the end it was decided that the balance of the rod was way off.

We extended the butt of the rod approximately 4 inches and also split the grip getting rid of that cheap heavy cork. The rod now is one of the best rods I have used and its my go too setup. Only thing that changes is the reel I use on it.

Happy to post some pics of the setup and work John did on it if you like
May be able to meet you somewhere this weekend and you can have a flick of mine with the zillion on there.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

George wrote:Hi mate

I'm a big fan of the Venom range, I've got one in the baitcaster model. Love It! It is super light and the power it has is astounding. I've got a core on mine and is an incredibly light combo. I prefer to flick so it is perfect for flicking all day long. Can't go wrong in my mind.
My 2c

Cheers
Hi George what model do you have.
Mr RiverBabe wrote:I have one and they are a great rod. Although some things could be better on them such as the guides. For that price i would expect slightly better. Mine have started to get some slight rust marks on the bases of them. The rod overall always felt crappy after pairing mine with my Type R Zillion. I ended up talking with john Sykes about this and in the end it was decided that the balance of the rod was way off.

We extended the butt of the rod approximately 4 inches and also split the grip getting rid of that cheap heavy cork. The rod now is one of the best rods I have used and its my go too setup. Only thing that changes is the reel I use on it.

Happy to post some pics of the setup and work John did on it if you like
May be able to meet you somewhere this weekend and you can have a flick of mine with the zillion on there.
Thanks for the feedback mate, what model do you have. I m not really keen to buy a rod for 400 then have to modify it. John is fixing a loomis for me at the moment so have a chat with him when it's ready.
BarraMick wrote:i have the venom 8kg .
Hey mate if you had your chance again would you go a 8kg again. On paper it look a bit heavy for barra.
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

not the best for smaller soft plastics.
but i use a 1000 symetre spin with 4lb braid on a raider soft plastic rod for this style anyway.
(knocks over 70cm barra no worries)

but the venom is the best for mid size to large hard bodys trolled.
it also has heaps of power for bigger fish.

i wouldnt get the 10kg.
im did weight up between the 6kg and 8kg when i got mine.
i went with the 8kg as i already have 30 other rods that are good for lighter/finesse work.
i got this set up to knock over big fish not finesee around with the rats.
sure the 6kg would be a good choice as well, but will porbly still be a bit stiff for small rubbers.
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

I'd have to have a look when I get home, best thing to do is go down to the tackle shop and have a feel of the different sizes. Get what feels right for you.
They do a crankbait version now as well, so if you wanted to have the extended butt you can buy it standard. I've used both versions and can't really say which was my fav, they are both so good to use.
I havn't had any problems with guides so can't comment on that. I am pretty pedantic with cleaning my rods, I use and old toothbrush with detergent on all the guides when I get home. I spent so much money on it I can't afford to not look after it.

Cheers
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Ask about the problem with reel seats. They have a tendency to break under load.

Might have fixed it by now. George knows about it.
Regards
Ronje
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

Mine is a 4kg model so a bit lighter then your talking. Handled an 86cm barra no worries at all.
Happy to bring it to show you or drop to John so you can have a look when you pick yoursup.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Apologies to George from Custom Plate Boats.

It was George from FishingandOutdoor World I was referring to.

The first run of Venom rods had a reel seat locking problem under load. Mate got one and ran into trouble. Was given a new rod once the problem became known.

Excellent rod he reckons apart from that (now solved) issue.

I've heard that Venom now produces a reel.
Regards
Ronje
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I had the same seat problem with my first Venom p.e 2.5 deep jig overhead ,FOW swapped it , but I,ve just started to notice some light
rust on the base of the guides as MRB has said, so I'll be taking this one back as well .
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

You reckon they will cover the rust Jeffish?

My reel seat also comes undone after a while. Thought it was user error but always seem to be tightening it up. Might speak with F&OW
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I have the bait cast PE3-5 and Crankbait PE3-5. The crankbait has the split butt. Both are awesome, but yet to really load up on them
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

No biggy Ron. all good

I've noticed my real seat on the baitcaster dose get loose from time to time. I initially put it down to the way I was holding the rod while casting, as I tend to hold my hand over the reel with fingers wrapped around the real seat. i figured after prolonged sessions that my fingers have been rubbing on the furrell causing it to loosen. But it sounds like a common problem though. Not exactly live fibers fault though, they buy Fuji seats.
If thats the biggest problem I have with the rod I think I can live with nipping it up every now and then.

Mine is a 6kg model

Cheers
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

TNS1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by TNS1 »

Venom live fibre rod all the way, I have minimum of two setups running when out, sometimes three. Live fibre beats the others, St Croix etc every time, in my opinion.