Reynolds Track - Suprise creek falls

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
wadeqld'r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Reynolds Track - Suprise creek falls

Post by wadeqld'r »

Anyone been down the Reynolds track this dry? I am after info on how the crossing is near Suprise creek falls as I am planning on going for a drive down that way this week, any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Wade

Scamper
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Reynolds Track - Suprise creek falls

Post by Scamper »

Went through the Reynolds track last week, from south (Daly road) to north (Litchfield end).
From the south end, you cross the Reynolds and another small creek, no problems to get to Suprise creek falls.
Only a little bit of water flowing, fun swimming.

After that heading north, you cross the Reynolds again, this time, care should be taken.
About 50 meters water crossing, deep at the south side to a 1 meter, firm sandy bottom with wheel ruts.
Clear water, you can see where your going.
Firm sand of to the R side after the deep section.
Then before Wangi fall Rd you have Sandy creek, 1/2 meter of water and a rock bottom.

Many section of the track have soft loose sand, and many speed humps to slow vehicles down.
We went through with 2 land cruisers, 2 Prado, BT 50 and a Subaru forester.
I wouldn't recommend the Forrester to go through again.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Coming from Darwin end, use the left side of the river crossing. Max 50cm deep. We went on the right a few weeks ago and car was in 80cm. Falls don't have much running water left but the track is beautiful
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

theodosius wrote:Coming from Darwin end, use the left side of the river crossing. Max 50cm deep. We went on the right a few weeks ago and car was in 80cm.
Second that, went the right side on the way in had a bit of a pucker at the half way mark, no drama really but had the lil tackers on board and could think of better places to pull up for the day............ Pulled a Rav4 out on the way back. Drowned. Not sure what he was thinking but he reckoned he'd been through a couple of weeks earlier no dramas.

Suprise Creek falls was a suprise - No fn falls................ Might have done the climb up to the top pool if we didn't have the billy lids on board but all a bit hard lugging a 2 & 4yo around. Would probably be nice if there was some running water but pretty uninspiring when we were there.

BTW - don't take an esky full of stubbies with you, not many left with the lids left on by the time we got back to the blacktop :bonk:

:cheers:

Melv
Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sweaty »

Iv driven past the turn off to that track over a 100 times and everytime say I should try it but never do..

Actually sounds like a nice trip with the family especially if there is swimming to be had!!
wadeqld'r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wadeqld'r »

Thanks for the replies and advice, heading out there tomorrow morning for an overnighter coming from the north end. Plan to camp at Surprise creek falls with the family.

Thanks,

Wade
Wadescott
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Wadescott »

A few mates did the trip 3weeks ago, said there wasn't much water at the falls. I've done it a few times before it's always a good trip
Cans are the go in the esky
Territory_Tuff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Territory_Tuff »

Yeah went out there not too long ago, not much water at the falls,
Good drive though, beats sitting on the couch i guess!