Queenie baits. Where and how?

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
cpaddy

Queenie baits. Where and how?

Post by cpaddy »

Hi guys. Could use a bit of your expertise here. I need to catch a few small queenies for a mate for the gove classic this year and I reckon they will be a top fun catch for my kids too. Where is the best spots, tides etc and what do you guys reckon? cheers.

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Queenie baits. Where and how?

Post by cuddlescooper »

Emery point on the bit of a bar that sticks out on the Cullen bay side inside the sand bar. Small maribu jigs or chromies. incoming tide
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

In coming tide? I've always done well on the turn and run out but not of late. I may have to that tactic.
Panam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Panam »

Wharf this time of the year on neap tides, small chromies. Water must be clear, early in the morning
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

There is a little bit of exposed reef when cutting across from the whalf to west arm. There is always a endless supply of small queenies, Best is the incoming tide either springs or neaps.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Depends how far you want to go?

If you want the little leathery queenies which would be perfect and are tough as.
If you head out early and catch the high tide on springs along the edge of the reef at the Northwestern Tip of the Northeast Vernon you are almost guaranteed of a few, they are always there in numbers.

Along with a few other fish feeding there

Cheers
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
googz
Seadog
Seadog

Post by googz »

what i wouldnt give for your vernon marks agent86
cpaddy

Post by cpaddy »

Thanks heaps guys. Will get into em this weekend :-)
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Don't think you're the only one googz

All you have to do is go there and have a look, that's how I found them, after aver 20 years I'm still finding new ones there, as well as plenty of other places :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
zohaa

Post by zohaa »

They good eating?
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

zohaa wrote:They good eating?
Depends on how precious you are. Probably best done as Numus or in a curry. Have tried them in a light batter and they're better than what you get from most fish and chip shops. Like all fish keep them fresh by bleeding them and get them on ice straight away.

Dan
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

If you are in Darwin city, which is close to any queenie ground, try East point rocks or deckchair cinema spots , live bait on float or bottom. Dead baits: pilchards, prawns squid. If luring, yes...chromies will be the best. If you could snag some garfish at east point rocks, they are a favourite queenie meal out there, at deckchair cinema are, live sardines works. Lately down stokes hill , lots of queenies but trevallies beat the cr.p out of them. If you are outskirts off darwin city, I can't really say what's happening. Tight lines.
Little queenies are abound Cullen bay pontoon as well. like 500 grams mark, which a number 8 sabiki bait jig can haul up. Good luck
Btw, queenies are top sport fishes, low rating as a tasty fish. But if you names/numbs it, it's a top tasty fish. Depends on your palate and ways of preparing fish .
There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au