Rapala problems

Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Rapala problems

Post by Hemi »

Just thought id share this...

Beware of Rapala Xrap lures at the moment..

Bought some from BCF in the last few weeks, used them just in the last few days and the treble hooks are snapping....

Must be a bad batch or something? Ive informed Rapala but havent had a response.

Each hook snapped while fish were on & resulted in losing good fish.... Sux!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hemi on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Rapala problems

Post by ken_dog »

Bibs still fall of them after a bit of use?
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Definately seems a huge build quality difference in them recently...?

The hooks are shocking cheap & nasty...
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Good colour that one....
I Wish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by I Wish »

Yeah I was about to say the same thing. Nice colours on that lure.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I always change the hooks on my Rapalas before I use them. Haven't seen them in person yet but hoping that with the new xxx raps I won't need to
Brad the Lad
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Brad the Lad »

for the price of the lures you think you wouldnt have to change the hooks. i have had a few xraps crack bibs and crack in the body itself. not good when the cost an arm and a leg.
fishing and beers,

wonder what the poor people are up to!!!
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Xraps have always had a self destruct qualitly about them. I love the Xrap and still use them, but they well known for bad hooks, cracked bibs and spliting at the tail.

IMHO they still the best suspending lure on the market, and my go-to hardbody lure in the dry.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Lats wrote:I always change the hooks on my Rapalas before I use them. Haven't seen them in person yet but hoping that with the new xxx raps I won't need to
The supposedly xxx-raps are the same. I had a 60 something barra bend both trebles on one of mine.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

The xxx X-raps I got in the Sea Dogs comp last year were awsome. They had vmc 6x strong hooks on them. The tail section on them is no stronger then the others though but I don't mind spending $18 on a lure if I have confidence that they will catch a fish if the fish are present. My missus landed a 105cm on one on her third cast of the lure out of the box. That fish blew the tail section out of the lure but the wire inside held out. We were having a hard day but the fish liked them over most other lures. they are like Ben Jam said my go to "small" hard body in difficult conditions. After spending $300.00 on getting to spots I don't think an extra $20.00 to ensure catching a fish should be a worry. But yes changing the hooks on the original X-raps is a must.
Till
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Till »

Buy them off eBay for about $8 each. You have to wait a bit longer but worth the wait
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

cuddlescooper wrote:The xxx X-raps I got in the Sea Dogs comp last year were awsome. They had vmc 6x strong hooks on them. The tail section on them is no stronger then the others though but I don't mind spending $18 on a lure if I have confidence that they will catch a fish if the fish are present. My missus landed a 105cm on one on her third cast of the lure out of the box. That fish blew the tail section out of the lure but the wire inside held out. We were having a hard day but the fish liked them over most other lures. they are like Ben Jam said my go to "small" hard body in difficult conditions. After spending $300.00 on getting to spots I don't think an extra $20.00 to ensure catching a fish should be a worry. But yes changing the hooks on the original X-raps is a must.
I agree they are good lures, i just change the hooks out on all xraps. They claim to be 6x vmc hooks but When i pulled them off the xxxrap that they got bent on i compared them to the size 4 vmc 6x hooks i always use on 10cm xraps they were made from thinner guage wire. I've never bent vmc 6x hooks that ive changed out myself
tissy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tissy »

Hi i have had the same problem with my xrap the new models and colours that they brought out late last year
tissy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tissy »

That was on fish as small as 53cm
juddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by juddy »

Yep, good lures just poop hooks!!