My New Baitcaster?

madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My New Baitcaster?

Post by madmortimer »

Probably been asked many times before, but if you were buying a new baitcaster reel right now using it mainly casting for barra what would it be?

Cheers

Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: My New Baitcaster?

Post by Sweaty »

Budget?
Meter Maid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Meter Maid »

Just bought the new Chronarch 14C bit pricey but a fantastic reel.Pulled it out atthe Verons for a bit of fun casting at a school of Gt & Macks got spooled but the drag was smooth as silk.Took a relative out to corroboree on the weekend who has never fished before and he had no trouble using it.Cant praise it enough.I love it.
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Core50MG7 for something pretty slick for predominantly casting or Chronarch 200E7 is a solid rig for both purposes for a reasonable ticket.
I do like Shimano though....
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

ABU Revo inshore, tried one and it cast far better than my old curado.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Sweaty wrote:Budget?
$150 - $400
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

Abu Revo 3. casts and feels better than my Curado. am a big shimano fan but the Abu seems to be the first one I pick up all the time now.
predetec
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by predetec »

I recently bought an Abu Revo 3 Premier as I wasn't real impressed with Shimano's current baitcaster range. Its a weapon - have landed a few barra in the mid 80's and got a big trevally on the weekend and the little revo handled it with ease.

Shimano have released a couple of new baitcasters since I purchased but I'm very happy with my decision.
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

Anything made in Japan, then whatever you like best from that list. best cheapest option atm is chronarch 50. If you got more money, ci4 chronarch. if you like diawa they are great too but you'll get what you pay for.
JimmyTaylor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyTaylor »

Curado G7... bulletproof
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Made my mind up and going to go the new Curado I 201 . Under $200 has good reviews. I have an old 201E7 and has served me well. The extra $100 or so can go to refreshments.

Cheers
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Look forward to a pic of it's first barra victim!
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

My first impressions on the Shimano Curado I 201.

The new Curado I looks a lot like the Chronarch Ci4+ in fact they are very similar featured reels on paper apart from the Ci4+ having a higher bearing count and constructed out of the stronger Ci4+.
However at close to $170 the Curado I has plenty of features for the price. I am sure my older Curado 201E7 cost the same quite a few years ago.

Unboxing found the standard instruction sheet and warranty and a small bottle of Shimano oil only. No tool of any kind and no spare brake blocks.

The reel feels lighter than the older E model and sits in the hand nicely.

Spooled with 30lb Nitlon braid I ventured to the river to give it a try out in still conditions. With the settings that the reel came with, two pins “on” and two pins “off” on the spool variable brake system and set at number 2 on the external cast control dial, the reel cast effortlessly. The higher the number the more brake force.
Smooth is a word to describe casting with this reel, it cast without backlash or adjustment as well as my earlier Curado 201E7 with an ABEC 7 bearings upgrade.

I have some Hedgehog Air BFS bearings coming in the mail to try in it next week, so it will be interesting to see the effort required to make the same distance. Although upgrading a brand new reel might seem umm, anal, I’ll give it a try for a comparison.

It feels like a reel you could cast all day with, and with little effort, hopefully my accuracy will improve as a result. It’s yet to be determined how it will stand up to extended use, but I think with regular maintenance it looks and feels like it should give years of service.
It boasts a cross carbon drag but I am yet to give it a workout.

Forgot to say this model is now made in Malaysia, regardless I like it a lot!

Now to catch some fish with it!

Cheers
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

A bit of bling for the new reel. Hawgtech 102mm. Weighs bugger all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

So I put the Hedgehog Studio BFS Air bearings in the new Curado I and went to the river for a cast. It cast really well but not as good as I expected. I'm throwing 170mm Reidy's hardbodys and it casts really well but not as good as my older reel. Small plastics would be ideal.
They say the BFS Air excel with lighter lures and I'm thinking they're right as I changed them out for ABEC 7 Boca ceramic hybrids and you can cast any lure as far and effortlessly as you like with those fitted. Within reason.
The BFS Air are a miniature stainless replaceable bearing.
I have Boca ABEC 7 ceramic hybrids in my Curado E and it's a gem so I'm doing the same for the Curado I. Worth the upgrade I recon.

So there you go, miniature bearings maybe not so good with heavy lures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.