Dundee trip

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Dundee trip

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Just a quick post about our trip out to Dundee today, headed out at from the ramp just after 7 this morning and shot straight out to my spots out at long lost, on the first location it was mainly small trickies and stripeys so tried my fav spot out there about half hour before the turn of the tide. Which turned out to be a good move, we landed about 12-13 species (honestly I lost count) everything from Cobia to big Goldie's.
Standy started us off with a nice 45-50cm Goldie and the bites didn't spot till we run out of bait and left them biting, we ended up with a really good looking Esky, including Cobia, Goldie's, trickies, coral trout and gold spot cod (we only took what we wanted to eat)
The fish were monsters with my biggest Goldie to date at 69cm and estimated at over 8kg as he was really thick set, standy got a 60 something cm coral trout that had to go 5kg and then the other fish worth a mention was a gold spot cod that would of had to be over 10kg. Cobia weren't the biggest but at around 60cm they will be great eating.
No tuna or mackerel all day but still had a great day

Cheers
Scott

Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Dundee trip

Post by Mud »

Cant ask for more than that.
Cheers for the report and well done!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

top trip boys ,,,been a bit nasty ,got have a crack sometimes or you'll never go :mrgreen:

pics ????? any size on the cobia ,been a few biggens caught out that way.

8)
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Unfortunately Jeffish we were having so much fun we didn't end up taking any pics just kept fishing, I'll pull them out of the freezer and throw them on the brag mat if you like lol
Honestly it was one of the best days I've had out there, in my boat anyways, and we dropped a few monster Goldie's too. Don't know how those fish get off sometimes, may have pulled the hooks.
I thought the Cobia were only around 60cm at first but i just threw them in the freezer and they are bigger then my big Goldie so must have been over 70cm, not monsters but good eating. Fish of the day has to go to standy though, biggest coral trout I've ever seen not that I've ever had too much luck with them.
I'm just stoked I beat my pb for Goldie's and standy got his pb for that coral trout and a monster gold spot cod, that amazingly was still alive when we got home and had been in the Esky for two hours, damn they are tough fish
Can't wait to get back out there, didn't want to leave
Hopefully standy took a few pics when he got home

Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Top report Scottie, sounds like you had fun

Those cod will stay alive for hours if you don't cut their throat or spike them

Wish I was out there, in a couple weeks maybe :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

Always a good time down there, I struggled with the reefies yesterday, seems like you made up for it today!
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Good report Scottie. Sounds like you landed a great spot there. :applause: You ever launch from six pack creek to fish Dundee? I've heard it is a more sheltered ramp than that of the Lodge.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

OB I've only ever used six pack ramp to fish bynoe, as you would have to go around the islands to reach Dundee which would turn it into a much longer trip to get out wide of Dundee. Probably not a bad idea if you have a big boat as there's lots of spots between bynoe and Dundee to fish, but if it turned to poop my 5.39 tropic wouldn't be the greatest thing to be in lol.
Dundee are now getting everyone to sign indemnity waivers before they will launch you too, saying they aren't responsible for any damage etc, which is a bit rough I thought. Surely some of that 30 should be going to insurance. We watched a 6.1 surtees have a very hard time trying to get on the trailer due to the old tractor operator putting the trailer underwater, and the skipper and crew must have been very inexperienced as they kept going deeper and trying to push the boat onto trailer which would never work then the tractor operator was trying to push the trailer under which looked like would have left some nice stratches on a brand new boat. My tip is just tell them were you want it and don't move until they listen to you, I got the young pommy bloke and he was good put it where I wanted it.

Barratuesday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Barratuesday »

Bugger! Sounds like you guys had a ball, Scottie! I'm p...ed I couldn't make it.

Great report mate!

cheers

BT
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Always next time BT, let me know next time your up this way

STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Was a good day out with some good sized reefies and a mixed bag. Didn't take any photos myself as was too late once i got home.

One of those spots when its quiet for a bit and you talk of moving then you get a few good fish and then your at the same spot 4hrs later with a full esky. Odd as we only caught about 4 strippies and no red fish all day

Bat fish came through for a hour or so (annoying) and some where big.
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Thanks for the report. It always seems to be good down that way.
redjig
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by redjig »

Thanks for the report.