Generator needed????

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Generator needed????

Post by Sweaty »

Hey everyone,

Done my far share of camping and at no stage ever needed a generator, but I have a up and coming trip to in August and for the first time think I MIGHT need one. "Charging Minn Kota batteries, and running fridge"

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that hires them, or someone on here willing to lend there's out for a couple cartons..

I wouldn't mind trying it one out and seeing if it's worth it before I spend the money investing in one..

Cheers JC 0415853075

Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Generator needed????

Post by Hemi »

Generators are that cheap now anyway... Might as well just buy one mate.

Youll find plenty of times to use it dont worry...
With all the power failures up here youll use it for running the fridge or watching tv at some point.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sweaty »

I don't know about the cheap ones though, here plenty of good stories and plenty of horror stories.

I saw a decent one with a decent brand about 2k, so still thinking I could find plenty of other things to buy if I don't use it that much lol..

But keeping the footy on and beer fridge cold is a big tick as well..

What would people recommend, wanting to run 2 fridges a 60 ltrs & 80 ltrs Waeco, and maybe a battery charger as well? Would a 2KVa generator be enough??
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

1 kva would be heaps. I have ran 6 camping fridges and charged a batterie all of my little Honda. Also ran a 9" grinder of it and it will just power a 305 mm drop saw just. Pretty much the only thing it won't do is ac's or anything like heat guns, even some kettles can draw a lot of power. I use it in black outs. I have my house set up so I can plug the whole house in at once. Will run fridge, deep freezer, pressure pump, 2 fans and a few lights. Just gotta be carful not to turn everything on at once. Most of them have an overload protector and it just cuts out.
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

I've been through your saga, don't buy anything but a Honda. A 1kva Honda would be perfect, I've ran 3 engels and 3 fans and it barley picks up the revs. I've got an extended run fuel cap that allows me to hook is up to a boat fuel tank and it will run for days without refuelling it.
Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sweaty »

And it starts. ..

Iv heard plenty of good things about Honda generators but honestly don't know if it's worth spending 1500 bucks when I may not even use it again or even once.
There is also the option of buying a ebay special for $300 but may kick the bucket first trip. .. hmmm
jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jersy »

Honda 1.0kva just for camping or 2.0 is you want to run your house in blackouts. Nothing else. Once you have one you will never look back. You,ll be amazed at the use it will get. Wortht the coin in my opinion
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

We recently had a Honda 1k running 3 engle 60's a Trailbalazer 70 and a Evakool 110 and 3 pedestal fans and 2 battery chargers.........no problems.........we also used the extended run fuel tank cap and an outboard tank to run it non stop for 6 days at an average of 9ltrs per day.......get a Honda.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Another vote for Honda. I used one EVERY night for nearly 10 years straight bush-camping. It ran everything incl the electric blanket in Tassie during a winter trip while the snow fell outside.

I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sweaty »

The Honda is sounding like a very impressive option.. I normally use a solar panel and fun everything from my dual battery and was thinking of doing the same this time, I might have to look in to it but 1500 is defiently some quality fishing gear if I don't use the generator lol..
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

I got my 10i from Big Mower for $1199 with cover and security cable..........they do a special now and again.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Just buy a cheapie from Bunnings or Supercheap. I have this 750 watt el-cheapo generator that I have had for years, used it camping, with the caravan and at Dundee before we got power, now I have a solar system that I use inbetween balckouts and when I am not running aircon. That 750 watt job ran the house fridge and the freezer plus lights and a tv. Just used to rev it up when I got the missis to turn on the fridge. Used to run on a tank for about 3 1/2 hrs and they are that cheap at present at Supercheap for under $150
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Another vote for a honda. I use mine for every thing. I take my boat down to the ramp and drop it in and do all my trailer maintanance at the ramp carpark. Run my grinders and any other power tools off it. All camping gear, The house hold stuff in a black out. Only ever had the one drama when I didnt run it out of fuel after atrip and didnt use it for 6 months. The fuel dried leaving the varnish residue in the jets. That was an easy fix after looking at you tube I pulled it all apart and cleaned them out. Apart from that I have never had a drama and its 7 years old now with lots of abuse on dirt roads and rough boat rides.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

I just ring around the hire mobs around town and get the cheapest price on a honda or yamaha.

I only need one about once year on trips longer then a week, the hire price for two weeks worked out @ once a year is about equal to 10 years @ $1800 (2kva) which I figure that would be the life of a honda. That money isnt including servicing or any break down cost.

And in some cases Ive had years where others who tagged along for the trip already had one.

For me it works out cheaper just to hire.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Mine was hard to start after about 5 years and i couldnt work it out. Used to start 1st pull everytime. So i pulled the plug out and it was almost burnt out :bonk:
Other than that, never a problem. I used to change the oil (200 ml odd) every 20l of fuel
The only thing about hiring is that at the end of the 2 years, all you have is a handful of receipts. If you but one, you can always sell it