It's a tough life we live up here

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

It's a tough life we live up here

Post by mickkk »

It was my daughters 4th birthday today. I asked her what she wanted or her birthday and she said a fishing rod. So last weekend I got her a new rod and reel at ok tackles closing down sale last weekend for a pretty good price.

Gave it to her this morning and all I got all day is can we go fishing on the boat with my new rod. With the wind the way it was I thought we would go for a fish and feed at stokes hill. Having never cought anything here before I wasn't expecting much.

I rigged up the new rod and she was happily fishing away yelling out "I'm on I'm on, oh no it's just the ground" about every 5 mins. I had a rod in and the missus had one in too. Mine was just sitting on the ground whilst I held my 1 year old and kept an eye on the 2 yo.

I was just saying how no one had so much as a bite on30 mind and next min my rod is buckling over. It was going pretty hard on my pretty light rod and it didn't take long for a bit of a crowd to build. A shark was suggested by the crowd but unfortunately I have a lot of experience on catching a shark and it didn't feel like a shark. Had to pretty muck lock up the drag as it went towards the pillions and got it to the surface and it was a Jew. My first ever Jew. But it was still along way down. I cut up my hand a but pulling it up but I got it. I was stoked.

Kids were very excited, until I started packing up and the 4 year old was filthy that I cought her fish, and wanted to keep fishing, " we don't really need dinner daddy, 5 more mins". The only way I could get her away was to say if we don't go seen we would miss out on playing in the park.

Had a tops feed, played in he park, watched the sun set. Had some birthday ice cream, chucked some chips to the fish and come home. As I said it is a tough life we live.

Crappy phone pics. I do think it is funny all the thousands spent on boats and tackle. All the trips done and fuel burnt and I pop my Jewie cherri on a old bit of squid off the jetty.

I do have a question tho. What size do they go from soapy to tasty. I have not measured it yet but it's about 70 odd cms. I thought it was around 50 cms but not 100%. Also recommendations on best way to cookit up.

Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: It's a tough life we live up here

Post by Ben Jam »

Black Jew don't get soapy it's more there mates down south.

Top effort for the day.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Great day out. Nice to see the little one getting into the fishing. A good place to take her with a small bloodworm hook is lake Alexander at east point reserve.
Like Ben said the black Jew don't get that soapy taste
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Yep, the smaller ones are far tastier I reckon
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Mate good going. I love th epic of the kids and fish.. funny hair raising moment hey..

Best cook? Put a couple of slices into the flesh each side, vertical like.

I love to place the fish on a big bit of foil, fill the gut cavity with onion garlic capsicum olives a bit of tomato paste, some lemon juice lemon grass a bit of chilli, and any other veggies you like then a bit of hoi sin sauce or something, but not too much just to add some taste.

I then pour a touch of olive oil on the outside of the fish and add a bit of red curry paste and rub it all over, (again not too much just for a hing of flavor) You can at the same time if you like chuck more veggies on the outside.

Seal the package on a medium bbq turn it after a bit then leave it for a while then stick a knife in at the shoulder and when it is soft it is ready. Leave it to sit without heat for 5 or so minutes then unwrap the parcel as the Mrs walks in the door with some freshly cooked takeaway chips, and a bag of woolies salad ..
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Great post Micky , I love post about little kids getting into fishing. Your little one seem more keen then my 2 girls.

Jew in that size are better eating.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

well done Mick

nice fish with the kids :-)
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

On ya Mickkk, some of my better trips have been with the kids. Memories that they will have forever. Well done mate. :applause:
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Good on you Micky/ You lot seem to go well 8)
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Cheers all. Alexis does really get into it, it's funny in the afternoons she is really torn between watching Peppa pig or fishing. She is just a bit young to come with me on the proper fishing trips, but it won't be long. Not too sure if Pippa will get into it as much tho, but she really loves the boat.

Ended up cooking the fish up last night, did this
http://www.ntsc.com.au/supportntcaught/ ... sh_new.pdf

It was awesome, having it for lunch again too.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great post :mrgreen:

Smaller fish are much healthier for kids to eat, developing brains can be hurt by the mercury in big fish, kids must also be kept away from lead.