Ranger/BT-50 or Amarok

Burnt Damper

Re: Ranger/BT-50 or Amarok

Post by Burnt Damper »

Mate I own a BT50 with 54,000 km on the clock. It has a OME 2 inch lift, computer chip and 3 inch stainless exhaust and goes like a dog shot in the arse. I have travelled up to Cape York with a boat on the roof and camping gear etc in the back. Pulled a caravan plus boat on roof etc for about 10,000km. Could rave on about it but let's just say I have had a great run with it so far. I bought the bottom of the range for the reason that it has NO carpet interior. The thought of of carpet and mud together just doesn't gell for me. Great fuel economy,very comfortable. At the end of the day it's what suits you best. Cheers

Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Amaroks have an 8 speed trans to pass emission laws in Europe. Interesting fact vw, well parent company also own Bugatti. You guys are obviously sold on amaroks, bt50 and rangers because you bought one and you say Toyota owners have blinkers on lol. Hemi I knock European poop as I work on it every day of the week, you guys obviously don't have any experience with the range of cars we are talking about, also hemi Toyotas aren't just made in Thailand, and they are "thrown" together better then any Amarok. If it comes down to not wanting any real 4wd ability, electrics not suited for nt climate, soft suspesion, tiny 2l motor and one of the ugliest cars ever made the Amarok is for you. Or just buy a ranger/bt50 and get a decent car. I give credit where credit is due hemi, how many breakdowns have you been called out too for amaroks?
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Ok scottie. remember that a Prado is also a landcruiser. Dont you think they are soft? (i know they dont like water but thats another story) :banghead:
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Lol yeah nomad prados are soft too, but quite capable with mods. Mate has a 2010 and it's not a bad car, he drives it like it should be driven though which makes a big difference. But I've pulled him out with my Hilux a few times. Just touching on the water thing though, I've been threw .8-.9 in his car many times without any dramas. Toyota mount and seal their ecus quite well for that reason, unfortunately nomad not much is built "tough" anymore, too much plastic and parts being made by the cheapest bidder is never a good combo which is why I like 70 series. Gone are the good ol days of 80 series and gqs, which with a few mods would do anything you ask of them, I once drove 500km without a alternator after drowning it in a clay pit (made it through though) I'd love to see anything modern run without it precious electrics, which is one reason I'm so against amaroks as they aren't built for our conditions, in Melbourne they might be alright. Not the nt though, this is cruiser country

Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

After owning 2 rubbish 4 x 4s a Nissan Patrol the a diesel Nissan 4x4 ute. I had a 4 Runner petrol job that got flogged and handled the Dundee dirt road for 8 years. Bought a Landcruiser ute diesel and it was tough it carried my entire house in building products to Dundee, did trips everywhere and towed the boat without feeling it there. My first brand new car was a Rav 4 it has 80,000 Kms needs a new clutch, but I also have bought a brand new Hilux automatic use it for work all across the NT, its the poverty pack, need the key to open the doors, manuel windows. It came with a bullbar fitted and only cost $38K so talk about value and that was from Bridge. I put a lift kit through it, beefed up the suspension, wide tyres, duel battery, ute canopy, sidesteps, whacked a fridge in the back. Its just gone 2 years old and travelled 90,000 km across the Tanami x2, Plenty x2, Central Arnhem, Maningrida x2, Sandover, Nathan River Road to Borroloola x2 and back and forth to Alice 4 times and hasnt missed a beat. Tows the 6.3 m research vessel easily to 100kmph. Oh what a feeling!
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

I'm going to test drive every duel cab ute on the market and have fun doing it. The way I hold onto vehicles (10 years+) I'm only going to do this 3 or 4 times in my life. I've started looking at the Hilux because they have the 2013 SR5 for $48990 at the moment, which seems like a good deal. There's also a couple of 2nd hand 2013 hiluxs with 17000-20000km with all the fruit at the same price which might be the cheaper way to go.

BTW I have a 1996 4-Runner with 23000km for sale. :naughty:
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Good thinking mate, if you decide to go the Toyota, it's cheaper to go to Alice springs and drive back. My mate saved 5k over paying bridge Toyota prices

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Scottie5.3 wrote:Lol yeah nomad prados are soft too, but quite capable with mods. Mate has a 2010 and it's not a bad car, he drives it like it should be driven though which makes a big difference. But I've pulled him out with my Hilux a few times. Just touching on the water thing though, I've been threw .8-.9 in his car many times without any dramas. Toyota mount and seal their ecus quite well for that reason, unfortunately nomad not much is built "tough" anymore, too much plastic and parts being made by the cheapest bidder is never a good combo which is why I like 70 series. Gone are the good ol days of 80 series and gqs, which with a few mods would do anything you ask of them, I once drove 500km without a alternator after drowning it in a clay pit (made it through though) I'd love to see anything modern run without it precious electrics, which is one reason I'm so against amaroks as they aren't built for our conditions, in Melbourne they might be alright. Not the nt though, this is cruiser country
Yeah thats my point. The new cruisers are soft so you have to do $mega mods to get them to the old standards of cruisers from days gone by
jdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jdog »

Check the dmax out great economy proven engines that arnt stressed and about 14k cheaper than an xlt think of all the goodies you could put on it. I just bought one myself :) 39990$ once its lifted and has front locker + all the bells and whistles it will be very capable 4x4 and did i mention cheaper.
barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barratrooper1 »

Buying new, the triton is great value, only thing i dont like about them is their long bum, scape that going up steep climbs.
The d max is pretty cheap to. Mates got a bt50, very nice car, dont like the way the tail lights go right accross the tail gate( why did they do that) and believe that the position of the intercooler is a bit exposed and needs protection.
As far as looks go, i love the ranger, and they drive really well, read fast!
hilux is a agricultural by comparission, dont know people love them so much.....but WE DO!
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

Deals done... got a 2013, BT-50, 5000km with bullbar, towbar, canopy and snorkel fitted, delivered to Darwin for $50,000. Seemed like a great deal, saved about $11,000 on buying brand new in Darwin. Thanks for all your help and advice blokes. Going to enjoy my new ute when it arrives.
stuart
Seadog
Seadog

Post by stuart »

clocked up nearly 50,000kms with my amarok in year and a half. prob over half towing a large caravan or 6m boat with no issues. Comfortable ride, great economy and lots of power. The trailer stability control is awesome and cuts my trailer sway down massivly. Most cars cant tow my boat over 90 as it sways like crazy. Amarok 110 no worries
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Fish Tank wrote:Deals done... got a 2013, BT-50, 5000km with bullbar, towbar, canopy and snorkel fitted, delivered to Darwin for $50,000. Seemed like a great deal, saved about $11,000 on buying brand new in Darwin. Thanks for all your help and advice blokes. Going to enjoy my new ute when it arrives.

Well done FishTank!! Good saving, happy & safe motoring, Enjoy your new toy..!

:clap:
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barratrooper1 »

Glad youre happy mate, another buy from out of town saves big bucks!
Mate buying his boat and motor combo in Brisbane is also saving around 11k same boat and motor offered by darwin dealer. Man its hard to justify buying big ticket items here, ive been here since 99, and will definatley consider my options next big buy.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

barratrooper1 wrote:Glad youre happy mate, another buy from out of town saves big bucks!
Mate buying his boat and motor combo in Brisbane is also saving around 11k same boat and motor offered by darwin dealer. Man its hard to justify buying big ticket items here, ive been here since 99, and will definatley consider my options next big buy.
Yeah worth looking around. This one was a demonstrator, pretty much brand new (5000km). Accessories being put on by the dealer and transported to Darwin. The dealer here was very good but didn't have the 2013 stock to offer such a great deal.