South gutter, Fentons.

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
CCO625
Gold Member
Gold Member

South gutter, Fentons.

Post by CCO625 »

Just a quick report on conditions out from Darwin yesterday.winds were light all morning and only maybe 10knts by late afternoon. Trolled South gutter approx. half way to the nth gutter but found the water clarity turned bad by 1.00pm. No bait or birds seen so headed across to Fenton wide area. Found an area of bait being smashed by small mackerel and dolphins on the way over but another boat was already in position casting so did a few wide laps but failed to raise any billfish. Had a pack of mackerel chasing the skip baits, thankfully they turned back and left them alone. Fenton wide and through Fenton patches looked good with flying fish and gars about but again no billfish seen. Only excitement for the arvo was a large pod of pilot whales came over and got right in amongst the spread and had a good look at the teasers and baits before playing in front , under ,and all around the boat for sometime before getting bored and leaving us. Any reports from off Dundee?

trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: South gutter, Fentons.

Post by trevor schultz »

Hi cco625 we had a slow day off Dundee Saturday, weather was good blew up for a couple hours in the morning but the rest of the day was good

We went 3-1-1 with one sail first thing in the morning around 15 kg then really quiet long day trolled till 6 that night and headed back to Darwin.
Compared to the last couple of weeks there was a lack of bait with few birds around.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Dit the same trip in reverse yesterday for zip. 2 little sharks and that was it. No bait no birds.
bummer really
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Dundee Friday, Sat. Friday went 6-2-0, Saturday 0-0-0. Had our hopes up on Saturday, but it wasn't to be. Macs and Cuda were painful. :evil:

Cleaned up out wide Thursday night on big Nannys, then had a great session first thing Friday morning on gulps on my 3000 Daiwa Excellor on 20lb. Big trouts, a 19 pound Chinaman and a stonker cobia, so it was still a great trip. Sail would have been the icing on the cake.
trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by trevor schultz »

Hey scotmac what boat where you on?
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Satisfaction. Reddish purple 7.4m plate. Heard you get that first one and thought 'here we go!' But wasn't to be. I think Doug raised a few smaller fish in the afternoon. Haven't heard any reports from yesterday.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

scottmac wrote:Dundee Friday, Sat. Friday went 6-2-0, Saturday 0-0-0. Had our hopes up on Saturday, but it wasn't to be. Macs and Cuda were painful. :evil:

Cleaned up out wide Thursday night on big Nannys, then had a great session first thing Friday morning on gulps on my 3000 Daiwa Excellor on 20lb. Big trouts, a 19 pound Chinaman and a stonker cobia, so it was still a great trip. Sail would have been the icing on the cake.
Sounds like a great trip Scott. I am planning another trip down that way soon myself but cant seem to stay awake for the night time session! must be getting old.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

AM wrote:
scottmac wrote:Dundee Friday, Sat. Friday went 6-2-0, Saturday 0-0-0. Had our hopes up on Saturday, but it wasn't to be. Macs and Cuda were painful. :evil:

Sounds like a great trip Scott. I am planning another trip down that way soon myself but cant seem to stay awake for the night time session! must be getting old.
We didn't get on the water until about 5pm Thursday, so we were still sober enough to fish (just!). I was a bit crook in the morning though. That Chinaman fish nearly killed me!
Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Nogood »

Doug got 5 on Sunday
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Nogood wrote:Doug got 5 on Sunday
That'd be right! Any size about em?
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

I miss Doug
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

BRING BACK DOUG !
BRING BACK DOUG !
BRING BACK DOUG !
Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Nogood »

One little marlin and 4 cracking sails
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Who, Nogood, you or Doug? Or were you on his boat?
Nogood
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Nogood »

no doug got them im stuck in Katherine wishing I was there